• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

accepting contracts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
    Ok. Not what I really mean to ask... but fair enough. Just wondering if it was near the city centre or near one of their business parks. I use to live down in Basingstoke... nice area. I suspect the company is near Chinnhem (sp?) Business Park....
    yep, the role is based in europe (thankfully not b'stoke), 12-14 months of implementation in varying countries.
    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

ho hum, didn't get it.

i've some other interviews lined up, so it aint the end of the world
      "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
        ho hum, didn't get it.

Commiserations - hopefully the next one will be a success.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
          hmmm.....didn't know that, and i have bought 3 properties in Scotland.

That being said they were all new builds from a developer, so maybe that's different?

In each case as far as I was aware, it was only binding once the missives have been signed.
          Yes, that is the case, missives are the document that makes the difference, even the written offer placed by your solicitor on the closing day means bugger all really which is strange.

You would think a signed bit of header paper with "I am W, representing my client X, who wishes to place an offer of £Y for property Z" would be binding.

Anyway, I actually don't know what the law on verbals is north of the border but as said before I always leave it subject to review of contract.

Comment

ho hum, didn't get it.

Unlucky - Hindsight is a wonderful thing - bird in the hand etc. Hope you get another contract. I hope it wasn;t something designed to make you pull out of the first gig

As regards the separate thing - backing out of a verbal contract:
            I've done it and had no problems whatsoever (other than the argy bargy from client and agency). My reasons were entirely valid (from my point of view) and I 've never suffered from it at all. I just wasted a day's pay and I'm very glad I did.

Just make sure you do it as late as possible and make sure the new gig is signed and sealed (literally) before you do it. Don't do this "honour" thing - its a load of b*ll*cks.
            Also, everyone who says "verbal contracts - its the law" are just tiny people taking through their ar*e.
            Time to get real here - Some people here seem to have a really inflated ego about who they are - none of us are BP, Virgin or Microsoft.

What about all the contractors who are given verbal assurance that there is an extension and are them booted out the next week?
            Hope all goes well - do whats best for you NOW - and don't worry about morals. They are the first to be ditched when times get rough.

Comment

In response to a PM......

Which offer to take "job 1" or "job 2"

Whichever way you look at it - an £x pd difference and nearer home is worth fighting for in the long term. There's plenty of time to contemplate what you'd spend the extra money on over the term of the contract

IMO, if you're going to jump, only do it once you're absolutely sure you've got the other gig. Also, only do it in the terms of the contract you've signed and you must have valid reasons for doing so. Money and near home is one of them!

If the preferred gig starts before, then as long as you haven't signed the contract, you'll be OK - just state "personal reasons". There's plenty of benched contractors who will jump at it anyway. (no come back on you)

If the preferred gig is after the start date of the first - thats more of a problem. In that case, I'd start the first contract and leave once the other is signed and sealed. Just make sure your terms with the first contract are 2 week's notice in first 8 weeks

Comment

Originally posted by Ivor Bigun View Post
                Also, everyone who says "verbal contracts - its the law" are just tiny people taking through their ar*e.
                The law that a verbal contract was binding was confirmed most recently in Bear Stearns Bank Plc. v Forum Global Equity Ltd. [2007] EWHC 1576 (Comm), which concluded that a binding contract was in place once a conversation had taken place in which they agreed the material terms (in this case, the price).

You can read a summary on The Register, and in various other places online - just Google the parties involved.

HTH
                Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                  Commiserations - hopefully the next one will be a success.

all the other ones pay better!

Norrahe's blog

Comment

all the other ones pay better!
                    Here's hoping you get one of them, then.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                      Here's hoping you get one of them, then.
                      Not sure if you're being nice or nasty.

Comment

Working...
                      X