• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

accepting contracts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    just looking at the options

been on the bench since last june, interview (2nd) tomorrow and possible client decision tomorrow (year long contract in Europe)

been put forward for other options which pay more, though are shorter contracts with extension possibilities (and are in the uk). Don't have interviews as yet....
    Ignoring the legal discussion - if you've been benched since June, and haven't even got interviews for these other roles yet, I think you'd be mad to turn down a job offer. The conversion rate from being put forward into interview is pretty low in the current market, and obviously interview into firm offer isn't exactly a given either.

Right now, a job in the hand is worth any number of CVs on client desks.

Comment

Originally posted by Scotchpie View Post
      In Scotland as soon as you verbally agree to buy, that agreement is binding and if you decide otherwise then the present owner can sue, or you can sue the owner if they decide to stay put.
      hmmm.....didn't know that, and i have bought 3 properties in Scotland.

That being said they were all new builds from a developer, so maybe that's different?

In each case as far as I was aware, it was only binding once the missives have been signed.

Comment

I always thought that in England until a contract was signed, sealed and delivered, a verbal agreement cannot be enforced. Either side can still change their mind.

Someone's already used the illustration of a house. If you agree to buy a house, until the contract is signed, you are still free to walk away at anytime, as is the seller (they can decide to keep the house). That's the reason so many chains get broken. Someone agrees verbally that they will buy the house and then walk away for whatever reason. In Scotland as soon as you verbally agree to buy, that agreement is binding and if you decide otherwise then the present owner can sue, or you can sue the owner if they decide to stay put.

I've always assumed the same was true for business contracts. Granted it won't earn you any brownie points with the agent but until it's all signed and sealed then you have to think about yourself.
        Houses really ARE different.

A contract for a land transaction has to be written in the correct form and properly stamped.

All other contracts can be verbal, written on a fag packet etc.

tim

Comment

I always thought that in England until a contract was signed, sealed and delivered, a verbal agreement cannot be enforced. Either side can still change their mind.
          No - the most common example is traders who wouldn't have time to get the paperwork etc. sorted before buying or selling shares. That set the precedent for a verbal contract to be valid.

Someone's already used the illustration of a house. If you agree to buy a house, until the contract is signed, you are still free to walk away at anytime, as is the seller (they can decide to keep the house). That's the reason so many chains get broken. Someone agrees verbally that they will buy the house and then walk away for whatever reason. In Scotland as soon as you verbally agree to buy, that agreement is binding and if you decide otherwise then the present owner can sue, or you can sue the owner if they decide to stay put.
          Property law is a separate case, under English law. What you say is right, with regards to property law, but not for contract law.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by moorfield View Post
            I always accept "subject to contract" - like buying a house.
            WHS
            Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys, just back from sunny basingstoke from the interview and will hear summat by close of play today.
              "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys, just back from sunny basingstoke from the interview and will hear summat by close of play today.
                Just out of curiousity... whereabouts in Basingstoke was the interview?
                If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
                  Just out of curiousity... whereabouts in Basingstoke was the interview?
                  medical supplies co
                  "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by deckster View Post
                    Ignoring the legal discussion - if you've been benched since June,
                    deliberately took time off (4 months) and have a nice rainy year fund

getting lots of calls re new work from my regular pimps

Norrahe's blog

Comment

medical supplies co
                      Ok. Not what I really mean to ask... but fair enough. Just wondering if it was near the city centre or near one of their business parks. I use to live down in Basingstoke... nice area. I suspect the company is near Chinnhem (sp?) Business Park....
                      If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Working...
                      X