• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Short Term Contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Short Term Contract

Im a bit of a virgin to the contracting market and am working out my notice period from my permanent employer . anyway ive manager to secure a contract from the 24th oct

(im in network/desktop/2nd/3rd line support)

but in the meantime im looking for a short term contract from the 13th October - 24th October. anyone got any pointers?

ALso have any of you "old timers" got any advice for my newly chosen career direction?? (in the way of getting good agency contacts, etc) ?? (my first contract is only 5 weeks long)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Oh dear. I just hope you've got enough money stashed away to survive on for at least 6 months.

Comment

Thanks, but.... no thanks....

Cheers Toad, However i want more constructive information, not information from people who only see the negatives.

Comment

Originally posted by NetwkSupport
        Im a bit of a virgin to the contracting market and am working out my notice period from my permanent employer . anyway ive manager to secure a contract from the 24th oct

(im in network/desktop/2nd/3rd line support)

but in the meantime im looking for a short term contract from the 13th October - 24th October. anyone got any pointers?

ALso have any of you "old timers" got any advice for my newly chosen career direction?? (in the way of getting good agency contacts, etc) ?? (my first contract is only 5 weeks long)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Don't wory, just think you are building your experience that may lead to other things in terms of career direction or opportunity. Start small, think big, but at the same time be savy.

Often, contracts are initialy specified as short, just to see if you can measure up, and also put you under pressure to learn quickly. A five week contract suggests, thats how long they need to see if you can cut it and meet their expectations - expect to work hard, to prove yourself.

Have an ambition and go for it. At the same time, remember, the world is full of sharks and greasers, decide on what your goal is - and go for it. The biggest reward from contracting is perhaps experience rather than money - these day's. Understand your motivation, and what you want out of life.

Contracting can result in short-term win's (e.g. money or experience, shortening the ladder etc) and long term losses e.g. tax liabilities, paid training, security, advancement and pension; potential lock-in to Client market sector / technologies etc. It can also become stressful in that the work-life balance can be easly lost because of the pressure to deliver.

A difficult choice.

Perhaps an intermediate step?

At the same time remember - nothing ventured nothing gained.

Try to do it wisely, focus on some goal, is it short, medium or long term, and understand the potential outcomes.

Long-term contracts also can have significant pit-falls - especially when they are over.

As a contractor, it can be like being a boxer, e.g. you are only as good as your last fight, at the same time, what will your CV look like at the end of the contract - are their things on there (current) that people want to buy?

Often, Contractors can end up down career avenues not through choice, but for can-do and to keep the contract going. This can be positive or negative, hence the need for a goal. Career drift is not a good thing (unless the direction is one you want to head towards).
        Last edited by ancient; 26 September 2005, 23:21.

Comment

eh?

Just have a holiday for a few weeks.

Comment

Go and do some labouring or other cash in hand work. You'd be extremely, extremely lucky to get 2 short termers back to back that fits in with your timescale.

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Thanks for your advice people, my ultimate goal is to get back up to london, meet new people, experience new networks, gain confidence, etc.... and of course short term the money is much better.... thanks again ancient and ratewhore.

One thing i didnt think of is making sure i have a goal technically, so as to not to slip into technologies/skills that arent worth me persuing.....so im going to have a serious think about my direction...

....better start looking for labouring jobs for that week i've got off work in between contracts....however the thought of a week off work is getting more appealing!!! thanks

Comment

Working...
              X