• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are there any real jobs out there at present?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There must be a lot of people that have been laid off from their jobs and decided to go contracting, thus making up the large numbers of role hunters out there.

What's the consensus on why the market is so saturated right now?

Comment

IMO there are plenty of agents making up jobs at the moment just to get benched contractors phoning them up as they know they'll probably work for less dosh in today's climate. They then tout your details about to clients they think might be looking for people. If they don't find a match, when you chase up it will be "sorry, they have had lots of other responses more closely matching the role".

Comment

Originally posted by mailric View Post
        IMO there are plenty of agents making up jobs at the moment just to get benched contractors phoning them up as they know they'll probably work for less dosh in today's climate. They then tout your details about to clients they think might be looking for people. If they don't find a match, when you chase up it will be "sorry, they have had lots of other responses more closely matching the role".
        Possibly, but with the agents I have spoken to this is certainly not the case. There are some very real contracts out there...

Comment

Yup it's frustrating.. can all but try.

I decided to play them at their own game since they are being so picky and thought I'd also maximise my chances in the process.

I search on the job role then just tick them all and send in my CV. If anyone cares they will call me, if not I'll maybe end up on a database.

I reconfigured my CV to just have my name and mobile number for this purpose. Let the agents do the job of deciding how closely you match the job I reckon. If I get any annoyed agents calling me - "oops sorry I must have ticked it by accident during my search".
          The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

Originally posted by chris79 View Post
            I reconfigured my CV to just have my name and mobile number for this purpose. Let the agents do the job of deciding how closely you match the job I reckon. If I get any annoyed agents calling me - "oops sorry I must have ticked it by accident during my search".
            You mean your CV didn't have your name or mobile on it before?

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Loew View Post
              You mean your CV didn't have your name or mobile on it before?
              Hehe.. it did, but previously it had a lot more personal info on it too. Probably a schoolboy error when I got into the game and hadn't really thought to change it, but now it's literally my name, email, mobile.. nothing more.
              The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

I've found it odd that people are ringing me up about roles before they hit the net and I'm actually getting call backs when i send my CV through.

Up till december it was nowt apart from one interview, which I didn't get, a mate of mine got the gig, but he'd already worked at the same clientco for 3 years, whereas I'd only been there for 3 months previously.

Though it could be just the first flurry and it'll all disappear into a puff of smoke.
                "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

I think its too early to tell - next week should be more enlightening as more people will be *really* back at work.
                  This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Ive had three confirmed opps over the past two days - Interview next week and another two I am waiting for.

Stuff has picked up when I compare to November and December.

Comment

Working...
                    X