• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

website creation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

website creation

have people used someone to make a site, or dont i themselves? my website skills are ok i.e. i can make one, but i dont believe it looks professional enough.

What content generally goes on there? contact details and what services you provide i assume?

Does anyone just use their webforwarding to something like linkedin.com?
    I didn't say it was your ******* fault, I said I was blaming you!

I'm no designer but I can hack with html. I downloaded a template from one of the many freesites and added my own changes.

Another suggestion would be to install a free content mangement solution like joomla and customise that.

Comment

I hosted a WordPress blog on my site - static pages for the permanent stuff like who I am, what I do, etc. etc. plus blog pages for my blog.

Looks pretty good, plus is dead easy to maintain and moderate, and it integrates easily with the blog (with a decent anti-spam filter, which was killing my old blog).

(And it's not the website you get when you go from my profile on here!)
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I based mine on a freebie template and went from there.

Comment

I can write HTML/CSS no problem but the hardest part for me is creating the graphics, I suck at Photoshop and I can't bring myself to learn it. There are so many websites out there that coming up with a design/look is quite easy it's just having nice graphics that's tricky.

Here is a good site for open-source templates

http://www.oswd.org/

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
            I hosted a WordPress blog on my site - static pages for the permanent stuff like who I am, what I do, etc. etc. plus blog pages for my blog.

Looks pretty good, plus is dead easy to maintain and moderate, and it integrates easily with the blog (with a decent anti-spam filter, which was killing my old blog).

(And it's not the website you get when you go from my profile on here!)
            WHS
            "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by scooby View Post
              Does anyone just use their webforwarding to something like linkedin.com?
              How do you do that?

Comment

Originally posted by Mustang View Post
                How do you do that?
                Just setup a public profile on linked in and you will have a static external address to it.
                The Mods stole my post count!

Comment

When I got mine done (2003), web designers were ten a penny. I suspect they might be again. I got a bespoke static HTML 6-page framey effort for £500.

If you do go that route, a couple of tips:

(1)have a surf and pick out 3 or 4 competitors websites that you like the look of, so your designer knows what to aim for.

(2)write the content first. Not essential, but it shows you're serious and also shows the designer what your business is like.

Comment

hi guys,

I am going to see if i can make a living when from web design / dev, when i finish my current contract (end of jan).

So if anyone wants a website (done by a fellow contractor) why not check out my site:

see footer
                    Green Box - Freelance Web Design and Development in London

Comment

Working...
                    X