• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best/worst months for finding new contracts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best/worst months for finding new contracts

Hello all,

I am currently in a contract post where I've been for nearly a year - having had my contract renewed three times. I'm being offered another contract extension with an end date at the end of December. I've been contracting for a few years now but have always been looking for contracts in March/April/May/June or latter in the year around September/October/November. Don't know why that is but it has always been my experience!This has raised a question in my mind about the best and worst months to be looking for new contracts.

Does anybody have a view of seasonal trends in the contract market, based on their own research or experiences? Are there months/times of year which are typically slow - August springs to mind - and others which typically boom?

I wouldn't mind a holiday in January but would be interested to know what it is like looking for work then!

Interested to hear your thoughts,

Michael

Originally posted by maikenhead
    Hello all,

I am currently in a contract post where I've been for nearly a year - having had my contract renewed three times. I'm being offered another contract extension with an end date at the end of December. I've been contracting for a few years now but have always been looking for contracts in March/April/May/June or latter in the year around September/October/November. Don't know why that is but it has always been my experience!This has raised a question in my mind about the best and worst months to be looking for new contracts.

Does anybody have a view of seasonal trends in the contract market, based on their own research or experiences? Are there months/times of year which are typically slow - August springs to mind - and others which typically boom?

I wouldn't mind a holiday in January but would be interested to know what it is like looking for work then!

Michael
    I would guess that high Summer is poor - they're all on hols - and also just before and after Xmas as they're all preparing for it or pissed/hungover. There might be a dip for a few months before the start of the new financial year due to money running out, but then again they might be rushing to spend any funds left!

Leif

Comment

Originally posted by maikenhead
      Hello all,

Michael
      For me it's always been New Year, Spring (March/April) and Autumn (Late Sept/Oct). The summer is usually slow as is pre-Christmas (Nov/Dec). Having said that I did pick up two assignments during these slow periods so these trends are not carved in stone.

Comment

Other may disagree but my experience.

Jan - Slow due to people getting back to work after hols/new yr.
        Feb/March/April/May - Good
        June/July/August/September - Variable due to holidays.
        October/November - Good
        December - Not great but okay, though only early December due to Xmas/new yr.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
          Other may disagree but my experience.

Jan - Slow due to people getting back to work after hols/new yr.
          Feb/March/April/May - Good
          June/July/August/September - Variable due to holidays.
          October/November - Good
          December - Not great but okay, though only early December due to Xmas/new yr.
          Only thing i would change would be
          June/July/ - good
          August/September - Variable (but generally bad) due to holidays.

Comment

Working...
          X