• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Advice for first timer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice for first timer

I'm in need of some honest advice I'm a software developer with over 11 years experience currently working as a permie where I've been for nearly 8 years.
    Over past year I've been getting peed off and decided I want to go contract on my own. I just found out that there's a chance of redundancy coming so I'm in two minds as to whether this is a good thing or not given the current climate.

I live in the North East but would be prepared to travel as I do this quite a bit in my current job.
    Anyone know what the N East is like for development jobs at the mo? Is now not the time to be thinking about going contract for the first time?

I suggest you look on jobserve to get an idea of how much work there is in your area of expertise and geographic location.

It's generally felt that this is not a good time to begin contracting.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
      I suggest you look on jobserve to get an idea of how much work there is in your area of expertise and geographic location.

It's generally felt that this is not a good time to begin contracting.
      WHS

However, being made redundent is how I became a contractor. Find out what the situation is, if you are made redundent you will at least have a payoff from your employer and then see what is best, contracting or going back permie.

I would not jump ship now on the off chance.
      Just call me Matron - Too many handbags

Comment

Originally posted by Jacko_1975 View Post

I'm in need of some honest advice I'm a software developer with over 11 years experience currently working as a permie where I've been for nearly 8 years.
        Over past year I've been getting peed off and decided I want to go contract on my own. I just found out that there's a chance of redundancy coming so I'm in two minds as to whether this is a good thing or not given the current climate.

I live in the North East but would be prepared to travel as I do this quite a bit in my current job.
        Anyone know what the N East is like for development jobs at the mo? Is now not the time to be thinking about going contract for the first time?
        I would personally wait until you are made redundant for the following reasons.

1. You will no doubt be entitled to some redundancy pay.

2. Leaving before you find a contract will leave you out of pocket.

3. The current economic climent is somewhat thin at the moment, and would be a good idea to wait (if possible) until at least April / May time.

4. Unless you have a contract to go to, you should hold out until you get some redundancy money or until you get a contract.

My recommendation is to wait to see if you will be made redundant so that you have some funds to fall back on. There is no guarantees that any contract will last more than the notice period.
        If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

It's not a good time to be walking away from a job at the moment, unless you're pretty confident you have something to go to. Be that permie or contract.
          If you're hand is forced, through redundancy, then you may as well consider all avenues.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacko_1975 View Post

Its generally dire. More C#/.NET roles then Java type stuff, and the odd bit of Oracle and DBA work, support work, server engineers, testers etc.

Comment

Working...
            X