• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Company name query

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Company name query

My Ltd company name has a number in it, for example, 5 Clippy Ltd and this is how it was incorporated with Co's House.

Can I legally refer to my company as Five Clippy Ltd?

Reason for asking is I am looking into getting some stationery printed and was considering my options.

Yes, do a search at Co Ho on both names and it should list the same Co.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

I don't think you can - of course the companies house search doesn't work on a Sunday....

I've just searched for myco (which has a spellt number in the name) and found it, but searching for the number brought back nothing from something similar to the companies house search.

I'd get it printed as per the name, if it were me.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
        My Ltd company name has a number in it, for example, 5 Clippy Ltd and this is how it was incorporated with Co's House.

Can I legally refer to my company as Five Clippy Ltd?

Reason for asking is I am looking into getting some stationery printed and was considering my options.

No its not legal. If your co is registered as 5 Clippy etc, then that's the name you should use on any business literature.

However, it would be extremely doubtful if any action was taken against you for using Five Clippy on printed stationary.
        I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
          However, it would be extremely doubtful if any action was taken against you for using Five Clippy on printed stationary.
          What about if someone else set up a company called Five Clippy and you continue to print your stationary spelled out that way? Surely the second company could sue?

Also, could having two versions of your company name appear confusing to your clients?

Comment

Originally posted by Scotchpie View Post
            What about if someone else set up a company called Five Clippy and you continue to print your stationary spelled out that way? Surely the second company could sue?

Also, could having two versions of your company name appear confusing to your clients?
            You cant have two companies called 5 clippy and five clippy. The names are too similar and companies house would prevent the registration.
            I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

It works with my Co. It has a "1" or "one" why I do a Co search.
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

You can be 5 Clippy Ltd. trading as Five Clippy. You wouldn't normally put the Ltd. as part of your logo anyway, so I can't imagine there's any issue with Five Clippy in big letters, then 5 Clippy Ltd. in small letters at the bottom.

What are Channel 5 really called?
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                X