• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

PI Recommendations

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PI Recommendations

I've just received my renewal quote for professional indemnity insurance which is currently with Hiscox - £509.25.

A colleague has pointed me at insurance-for-business.co.uk with quotes coming back as little as £95 for the same level of cover. ifb.co.uk is run by 'British Gas Business', so I'm not touching them with a barge-pole, but I'm intrigued by the massive cost difference.... (and haven't read the small print either)

Anyone have any recommendations for an insurance company providing professional indemnity insurance (1 million quid) + laptop (£1500) for somewhere in the middle of those two figures.

Cheers, D.

PCG membership + Randell Dorling with PCG discount.

No brainer...
    Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Look at QDOS Consulting too. Should be less than £200.

Comment

We don't cover laptops though I'm afraid (at the moment).
        Last edited by Contractor UK; 26 March 2009, 09:23. Reason: Blatant advertising removed
        Qdos Contractor - IR35 experts

Comment

I notice that its £132 for "IT Contractors" - but does 'IT' really encompass Software Engineers, like myself, developing software for Telecoms, Rail, Defence and Consumer Products.

Software Engineering doesn't seem to be covered in Low & Normal Risk Trades either

I currently pay £230 for £250K cover to Chaunce O'Hara / Freelance Insure - same fee for IT Contractors & Engineering - but its due for renewal next month
          Last edited by FarmerPalmer; 16 December 2008, 10:40.

Comment

Originally posted by FarmerPalmer View Post
            ...but does 'IT' really encompass Software Engineers, like myself, developing software for Telecoms, Rail, Defence and Consumer Products.
            er, yeah

To use the popular plumber analogy, if he fixes Kylies bog or Alan Sugars, he's still a plumber...

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
              er, yeah

To use the popular plumber analogy, if he fixes Kylies bog or Alan Sugars, he's still a plumber...
              but will that analogy stand up in a court of law when you get sued ?

say a Railway Signalling System fails due to a coding error - or even a vacuum cleaner - would an "IT Contractor" Public Liability Insurance pay out ?

IT, to me at least, brings visions of corporate infrastructure or City banking.

thus the question ....

Though it is unlikely to come back onto any individual entity (person or consulting business) anyway - if it is developed by one and tested by another.

Confused of Chippenham
              Last edited by FarmerPalmer; 16 December 2008, 14:00.

Comment

You do seem confused to me as you contradict yourself to a certain extent. You say 'IT" makes you think of city banking but not railway infrastructure. If you follow your line of thinking, then IT bods in the city work in finance, not IT, and you work in, say, transport infrastructure, but not IT.

You can't have it both ways but, to avoid doubt, tell the insurer what you do and let them underwrite you. Bear in mind they may have their sales head on though...

Comment

Randall Dorling via PCG did a reasonable deal for me £250ish.

However be warned there is a "shared layer" of cover at the top band and this confused the hell out of the poor pimp I was dealing with at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by moorfield View Post
                    Randall Dorling via PCG did a reasonable deal for me £250ish.

However be warned there is a "shared layer" of cover at the top band and this confused the hell out of the poor pimp I was dealing with at the time.
                    It's really not rocket science is it? Poor fella...

Comment

Working...
                    X