• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

More fishing - references!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More fishing - references!

All,
    After a long time on the same contract I'm back on the market (and I know, not a great time, but not my choice).

It seems almost like every agent I talk call (or who calls me) wants the name of 2 references, I know that they're trying to generate more leads for themselves but this isn't really a problem as neither of my references are hiring! This has happened a few times and I never hear from them again.

Thing is, do I assume that because of this the role's they're advertising don't exist? Its tricky because you don't want to miss any opportunities.

I had one recently that was definately a wrong 'un "Ohh yeah, put yourself fwd at a higher rate, my client pays well, now tell me the names of all of the other companies you've been put fwd for", needless to say I didn't.

I'm not really expecting to find anything before the New Year, but despite having v good experience and being well flexible on rate, there seems to be very few real contracts to be had ATM.

Its worse out there than I thoght it was!

Originally posted by freebo View Post
    All,
    After a long time on the same contract I'm back on the market (and I know, not a great time, but not my choice).

It seems almost like every agent I talk call (or who calls me) wants the name of 2 references, I know that they're trying to generate more leads for themselves but this isn't really a problem as neither of my references are hiring! This has happened a few times and I never hear from them again.

Thing is, do I assume that because of this the role's they're advertising don't exist? Its tricky because you don't want to miss any opportunities.

I had one recently that was definately a wrong 'un "Ohh yeah, put yourself fwd at a higher rate, my client pays well, now tell me the names of all of the other companies you've been put fwd for", needless to say I didn't.

I'm not really expecting to find anything before the New Year, but despite having v good experience and being well flexible on rate, there seems to be very few real contracts to be had ATM.

Just give them a couple of names from the telephone directory. Look under 'sex shops and adult entertainment'.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

A recent conversation with an agent went along these lines:

Agent: Your CV looks great. I'm forwarding to my client.
      Me : Thanks. Who is the client?
      Agent: Confidential. Will let you know at the interview stage.
      Me : Fine. No problem.
      Agent: Can you tell me the companies you have forwarded your CV. My client doesn't like to see the same CV from different agencies.
      Me : Well, I wish I knew. The other three agencies who put forward my CV won't tell me the client name, just like yourself.

The line went dead the next nanosecond

Originally posted by freebo View Post
      All,

Comment

Agents have a suckers list of contractors who give references for nothing. Often a bored agent will call around some, just to hear a desperate contractor singing like a canary, in order to be put forward for a job that exists only as a figment of the warped agents imagination

Comment

Originally posted by sounds View Post
          A recent conversation with an agent went along these lines:

Agent: Your CV looks great. I'm forwarding to my client.
          Me : Thanks. Who is the client?
          Agent: Confidential. Will let you know at the interview stage.
          Me : Fine. No problem.
          Agent: Can you tell me the companies you have forwarded your CV. My client doesn't like to see the same CV from different agencies.
          Me : Well, I wish I knew. The other three agencies who put forward my CV won't tell me the client name, just like yourself.

The line went dead the next nanosecond
          Brilliant!

Comment

Working...
          X