• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Current rates and contract duration

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Current rates and contract duration

Some questions ...

I was wondering what the current rates are like in the outer London area for telecoms and similar (C++, multithreading, real-time, sockets). I have just finished a 5.5 year contract and am about to start with a new client on a 3 month contract. The rate I'm getting is about 20% less than my previous one, though I suspect that my old rate was well above average. I didn't haggle this time as the market is not as bouyant as 5 years ago.

Are agents obliged to tell you their cut? My last client told me so I knew I was not being stuffed.

What sort of duration are most contracts? Mine have been 1 year and 5.5 years but I don't like the idea of lots of short contrast ie. 1 year.

Lastly, do most employers have a problem employing ex-contractors? I tried to go permie (the shame) but no telcos would bite, so took a contract. It was easier to get!!!! Ironic.

That's enough rambling.

Leif

Well it's hard to know really and to be honest I just:

a. Talk to ex-colleagues in the same industry.
    b. See what rates are shown on JobServe for given skills and location
    c. Determine from these what I think I'm worth

and then just shoot for that. Someones you get more, sometimes less. I also never really care that much what the agents take is. It's like caring how much markup Tescos puts on all their food when you go shopping.

Sounds like you've done pretty well to get out of a long contract into another and only fall 20%.

Comment

No idea about you rate sorry - have a look through jobserve. You should get some idea from there.

No, agents don't have to tell you their cut, and if they do there's a fair chance they'll lie to you. It's easier to find out from the client in my experience.

Contracts are handed out for two main reasons: (1) To get a project done or (2) To get excess day-to-day work done. Number 2 is likely to be a longer contract than number 1, but you are more likely to be considered a disguised employee by the IR, the work probably won't be as challenging/interesting, and the rate will probably be lower.

I haven't seen any reluctance to take former contractors on as permies, though its quite common to be hired on a contract-to-permie basis so they can "road-test" you.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Yeah I'll ask the client what they pay the agency. I don't trust the agents (surprise surprise).

Leif

Comment

Working...
        X