• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Want to bring son 'into the business'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Want to bring son 'into the business'

OK I've been a contract Test Analyst for a number of years (not that that is important) through my own Ltd Co.

One of my lads is interested in becoming a Test Analyst too. I can train him in the black art and pass on my knowledge then put him through ISEB \ ISTQB.

Question is, initially, I'd want him to work alongside me for at least 12months before letting him trade under my co's name. Now, agents and client co's probably dont grasp this concept of 2 people working on the same contract at the same client site even if it is for the same money.

What's the best way to get around any obstacles put in place by agents and clients? Anyone else brought a son or daughter into the business and how did you get them started?
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

I'd suggest that you get a gig as you would normally and once on site and proven suggest you're happy to provide an additional resource for no additional cost. You may even find that clientco are willing to pay a small amount per day if they need additional testers.

At interview stage though I doubt that you'd get anywhere simply because agent/clientco wouldn't get the concept - it's also (potentially) an additional hassle for them so you're easier to ignore.

The other alternative would be for your lad to get experience as a permie somewhere and use that to build up his skill set before working for yourco..
    Proud owner of +5 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

If they are happy with you, then suggest that you could bring in some extra resource as a freebie to them, for a new starter that wants to learn more.

I wouldn't mention that it's your son too early though - get them sold on the idea of "free resource" before you reveal who it is.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
      X