• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

10% rate cut for renewal

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

10% rate cut for renewal

Ok, been contracting in this large insurance company for over 3 years, got offered a 3 month renewal on old terms, starting 3rd November.

However got an email today from my Agency "Conputer People" saying that from 1st Dec I would be transferring to the clients preferred supplier, and by the way, they were reducing rates across the board by 10%. So I get one month at the current rate, then new contracts negotiated from then with the new agency.

After the initial deep resentment and anger (client have refused all attempts for a rate increase in 3.5 years, apart from once), is this strictly legal?

This will have happened many times I know, what is the best way to deal with it? - I will certainly be looking around for other opportunities

Originally posted by oldtimer45 View Post
    Ok, been contracting in this large insurance company for over 3 years, got offered a 3 month renewal on old terms, starting 3rd November.

However got an email today from my Agency "Conputer People" saying that from 1st Dec I would be transferring to the clients preferred supplier, and by the way, they were reducing rates across the board by 10%. So I get one month at the current rate, then new contracts negotiated from then with the new agency.

After the initial deep resentment and anger (client have refused all attempts for a rate increase in 3.5 years, apart from once), is this strictly legal?

This will have happened many times I know, what is the best way to deal with it? - I will certainly be looking around for other opportunities
    You take it or you walk. Have you checked with your client that this is the reality?
    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Way forward

1. Check notice period under new terms
      2. Carry on working
      3. Look for another role at the rate you want
      4. Get new role on rate required, until then go to 2
      5. Leave ASAP and take 3 years experience with you

Job done.

Comment

Originally posted by oldtimer45 View Post

Sounds to me they are giving notice to the extension as soon as it starts (I assume you have a 1 months notice). So it is really only a 1 month extension. You are then being offered a further extension at a lower rate. Which they can do if they want.

We had a similar thing here recently. Take a x% cut in one month or leave. It is happening a lot in the current market. From what I hear there is not much work out there so I would probably just accept it if I was you (assuming you are happy to stay) - and continue to look if you want.

Comment

Originally posted by Unicorn View Post
          1. Check notice period under new terms
          2. Carry on working
          3. Look for another role at the rate you want
          4. Get new role on rate required, until then go to 2
          5. Leave ASAP and take 3 years experience with you

Job done.
          If you are able to give notice.

Comment

standard procedures for companies struggling with costs...

HBOS and Barclays both offered 10% cut or have your notice options.

Comment

Originally posted by mailric View Post
              standard procedures for companies struggling with costs...

HBOS and Barclays both offered 10% cut or have your notice options.
              Has anyone ever tried OK 10% cut, with 10% cut in hours?

I mean, I know you can punish them with 10% skiving, but actually spend more time at home, e.g. 1/2 day per week?

Comment

Well I am thinking of negotiating working from home one day a week, so could be worth trying

Comment

You've got to be pragmatic especially in these crunch times. 90% of something is better than 100% of nothing.

OK is it legal? Sure it is. You either accept it or not.

As for someone's suggestion of asking \ telling the client rather than a 10% rate cut with a 10% cut in hours, isnt that a double cut in income?

I've never known a client agree to a 10% cut in hours at the same rate. When they want a 10% or whatever cut in rate, they want a cut in rate not hours.
                  I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

I would take the cut. Unless clientco are reading this thread and using it to decide about a rate cut - in which case I walk.

Comment

Working...
                    X