• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lazy Agent

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lazy Agent

Doing a contract at the moment for a large firm that has three or four preferred agencies.

I am about 3 months into a 6 month contract. I saw a contract advertised internally in said firm that is closer to my skillset. Contacted my agent asking if I could apply. Well, two phone messages (left with agents colleagues) and two emails later I had no call back - nothing at all.

I showed a work-mate the ad and asked him to apply for it - i was just interested to see what his agency would do. He is in a similar situation 3 months into a 6 monther doing the same role but working through a different agent. He sent an email asking same and within 10 minutes got a call back. The agent asked him to check with the firms management to see if they'd mind him applying just so the agency didnt step on any toes - fair enough. He checked, they said go for it and he's now applying for the position.

I'm glad hes gone for it cos at least one of us got the chance but I am more than miffed at my agency. Has anyone got any advice on what I can do about my agent. I am starting to suspect that Ricky Gervais had a better agent in Extras.

Had a similar incident a few years ago.

Saw a role with Agent A and applied – chased for response and was told they had other people with closer skills and would not submit my CV to the client.

Agent B called a few days later with an ideal role – turns out it is the same one applied for with Agent A. Agent B got me an interview and I got the role.

Couple of weeks later Agent A called me back asking if they could put me forward for another role which was more junior and further to travel. I had great fun in tell him that I had got the gig they would not put me forward for.

What’s more the 3 month contract turned into 14
    Just call me Matron - Too many handbags

Comment

Thats a good result . You must have got some satisfaction there.

My main gripe is that in over a week, two phone messages, and two emails I didn't get a reply of any sort ... and I know that she got the messages. I'm not talking about an agent who I don't know but one who I have been working through for the last year and a half.

There's another agent who calls me near my renewal times and asks what I'm up to. I've had more communications with him than the one I'm working for - and not once has he tried to fish info out of me like some of the stories on here. If I need representing in the future I will probably go through him and forget about my current one.

Agents...theres good ones and bad ones. Luke contractors I guess.

Tantrum over. I'll learn from this and move on.

Comment

Working...
      X