• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

agency margin

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    It helps you to know where you stand in the scheme of things so I would advise you to make it your business, unless of course you are working through "Dodgy Enterprises" in which case it is none of your business.

I would agree BUT split opinion between DA and RateWhore. Whilst being "none of your business" and also "helping you to know where you stand..." it is not unreasonable to expect the agency to have "an open book policy" - largely because the agency should have nothing to hide. I am always open on my margins as I find this works best with both candidate and client.
    I don't want to achieve immortality through my work... I want to achieve it through not dying...

Comment

Originally posted by touche View Post
      hey all,

is it allowed to ask an agency for how much margin they charge on my rate?

I hear some agents saying stuff like the more money you get, the more I get so i will negotiate the best rate for you.
      I have found that most agencies up up-front about this these days. 8% to 12.5% is good but it can go up to 25% beware of contractors being hired out at £1000 per day and only getting £200-£300 from the agent.

as long as you are happy with what you get don't worry about what the next guy gets.
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

don't forget the difference between......

Margin and mark-up.

Apparently there is a difference and you need to ask the right questions if you want to know the answer. When you say,
        "I though your commission was 10%? It looks like 15% on this invoice I have seen to client."
        and they say,
        "No! you are mistaken my foolish friend. When I said 10%, I meant mark-up, this means 15% margin. That is why it looks as though I have lied through my teeth to you about a dozen times. God you are stupid."

Er, thanks. That's ok then.

You know who you are. Revenge will be so sweet. Even when served cold......

Comment

Originally posted by Jubber View Post
          IMHO - If I’m happy with the rate – then a huge margin means if anyone is getting ripped off, it is the client, not me.
          If the client is getting ripped off on your contract, do you really think that will not reflect on you?

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Dodd View Post
            Margin and mark-up.
            "No! you are mistaken my foolish friend. When I said 10%, I meant mark-up, this means 15% margin. That is why it looks as though I have lied through my teeth to you about a dozen times. God you are stupid."
            wrong way round. 15% markup = 13% margin.

[agent]God you are stupid.[/agent]
            Plan A is located just about here.
            If that doesn't work, then there's always plan B

Comment

Originally posted by XLMonkey View Post
              wrong way round. 15% markup = 13% margin.

[agent]God you are stupid.[/agent]
              WHS
              Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                I have found that most agencies up up-front about this these days. 8% to 12.5% is good but it can go up to 25% beware of contractors being hired out at £1000 per day and only getting £200-£300 from the agent.

as long as you are happy with what you get don't worry about what the next guy gets.

WHS!
                I don't want to achieve immortality through my work... I want to achieve it through not dying...

Comment

Working...
                X