• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

MONEY - Business Account / Offset Mortgage

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MONEY - Business Account / Offset Mortgage

Can anybody help me out here

I have more than 35 K in my business account

Furthermore I have used another business account to offset my mortgage
    by 50K plus

Q1 Is my 70K in my business account safe ?
    Q2 Is the 50K + I have offset against my mortgage safe ?

Originally posted by Sandyman View Post

Furthermore I have used another business account to offset my mortgage
    by 50K plus

Q1 Is my 70K in my business account safe ?
    Q2 Is the 50K + I have offset against my mortgage safe ?
    Is the mortgage in your name? Can you offset it using an account held by your company? - assuming that's what you mean by 'business' account.

Comment

Really? I don't have anything in my business account, in fact I don't have a business account. I own a Ltd Company that does have a business account; but its money is not my money, and HMRC for example are perfectly clear about that.

Comment

Furthermore I have used another business account to offset my mortgage by 50K plus
        NO NO NO You cannot do this. The business money is not yours!

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
          ...but its money is not my money, and HMRC for example are perfectly clear about that.
          So was the judge when i got divorced. He said the business is me and the money is mine and cannot be cloaked behind a Limited Company.

Guess it depends who you're talking to...
          Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

I'll admit to have thought about taking the risk on this one now and again.

I know at least three contractors who have done it (i know that doesn;t make it rght) - one of which paid his mortgage off in three years simply because he wasn't paying any interest on it at all.

I understand all the risks, but (devils advocate) are the HMRC really going to care what happens to the money in your business account as long as you pay your tax on time? No, it isn't MY money, it's my Ltd Co's money, but I earned it and should have the right to make it work for me (maybe not the VAT!).

I think the risk may be worth the reward - me and the missus have 50k in our ltd co's accounts - and with say £100k mortgage this would save us £250 per month and that would go straight into paying off capital - helping us pay the thing off in half the time. (How about if i offered to donate £50 of that to charity every month?)

If you changed yoru business bank account every two years and did everything else above board - you'd be very unlucky to get caught.

Bottom line is - has anyone ever been 'done' for this?

Comment

Originally posted by Dante View Post

I don't think anyones been done for rutting with a chicken. Doesn't make it right...
              Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

I beg to differ:

Man Arrested For Having Sex WIth A Chicken At A Motel

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
                  So was the judge when i got divorced. He said the business is me and the money is mine and cannot be cloaked behind a Limited Company.

Guess it depends who you're talking to...
                  He was wrong.

Good point though: if you own a Ltd Co that has 100k, then you are worth 100k although you do not actaully have it as your own money. If that is so, then why won't the mortgage lender let you offset it?

Comment

Originally posted by Dante View Post
                    I'll admit to have thought about taking the risk on this one now and again.

I know at least three contractors who have done it (i know that doesn;t make it rght) - one of which paid his mortgage off in three years simply because he wasn't paying any interest on it at all.

I understand all the risks, but (devils advocate) are the HMRC really going to care what happens to the money in your business account as long as you pay your tax on time? No, it isn't MY money, it's my Ltd Co's money, but I earned it and should have the right to make it work for me (maybe not the VAT!).

I think the risk may be worth the reward - me and the missus have 50k in our ltd co's accounts - and with say £100k mortgage this would save us £250 per month and that would go straight into paying off capital - helping us pay the thing off in half the time. (How about if i offered to donate £50 of that to charity every month?)

If you changed yoru business bank account every two years and did everything else above board - you'd be very unlucky to get caught.

Surely no bank should allow the offsetting of a business account with a personal mortgage ?!?!

Sandyman - who do you bank with?

Comment

Working...
                    X