• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

On the subject of references

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    er why?
    So that we have to use agents cause we don't know anybody else in the industry?

Er, no, so that you leave on a good basis so if future gigs cross paths with old work person's you don't have a situation where some one can provide you with a naff internal reference.

Where did agents crop up in this???????
    I don't want to achieve immortality through my work... I want to achieve it through not dying...

Comment

Originally posted by Another Dodgy Agent View Post
      Exactly. Had it today, 3 candidate's requested for interview by client, 15 mins later email comes through saying they want to pull one of the interviews. I knew exactly at that point that someone internally had heard they were interviewing said candidate and for whatever reason put the knife in.
      This has happened to me with a certain Ms Carroll. When I catch up with that bitch.....
      I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Er, no, so that you leave on a good basis so if future gigs cross paths with old work person's you don't have a situation where some one can provide you with a naff internal reference.

Where did agents crop up in this???????
        Agents came up because you (an agent) was making a recommendation that would promote furthur use of agents.

By maintaining relationships with past clients a contractor can build up a network of contacts and stop working through agents and start working direct.
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

Agents came up because you (an agent) was making a recommendation that would promote furthur use of agents.

By maintaining relationships with past clients a contractor can build up a network of contacts and stop working through agents and start working direct.
          No I'm not, I am stating that you maintain good relationships with your end client because you never know when someone you have worked with in the past may crop up in the future.

I don't care whether you work direct or not, my advice was that you maintain relationships (not with the friggin agents).
          I don't want to achieve immortality through my work... I want to achieve it through not dying...

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
            This has happened to me with a certain Ms Carroll. When I catch up with that bitch.....
            Don't worry I will be sure to look out for her...

Comment

I'll just quote yourself again:

Often (within industry) your work situ can become quite incestuous in that everyone knows everyone else and on that basis it is always worth leaving contracts and working relationships within contracts as best as possible.
              at no point do you mention keeping good relationships, only leaving them inside the contract.
              Coffee's for closers

Comment

I'll just quote yourself again:

at no point do you mention keeping good relationships, only leaving them inside the contract.

Indeed. I think we both know that my intentions were clear in that I was suggesting that certain industries are incenstuous and that depending on how you act within contract may have an impact in the future for future gigs.

Comment

Indeed. I think we both know that my intentions were clear in that I was suggesting that certain industries are incenstuous and that depending on how you act within contract may have an impact in the future for future gigs.
                  Well thats the difference between a "bum on seat" contractor and a professional.
                  A true business owner knows that contacts and reputation are your life blood
                  Coffee's for closers

Comment

Well thats the difference between a "bum on seat" contractor and a professional.
                    A true business owner knows that contacts and reputation are your life blood

Absolutely, they certainly are for me.

Comment

Working...
                    X