• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agencies' Questions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agencies' Questions

I am on the hunt for my next contract. Many Agents who call me ask the following questions:

(1) How long you have been looking? Which positions / companies you have so far applied?
    (2) Have any interviews been lined up?
    (3) How do you find the market?

To one Agent, I replied, "I have been looking for a week, and no interviews lined up so far", for which the Agent replied, "My client is looking for candidates actively looking and who are in demand" and closed the conversation.

If I had answered (truly) that two interviews have been lined up (which will prove that I am in demand), the Agent would certainly have asked what those companies are. Why would an Agent consider a candidate ("in demand") who is already interviewing for other companies?

Instead of straight away discussing the job description, suitability, availability etc., why do the agents ask these questions, and what possible answers one can give for the above questions, and what do they really expect?

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Ashwin2007; 5 September 2008, 20:14.

Simple really, the majority of the time they don't have a real role and they're fishing for leads, there are quite a few variations on the tactics you described.

What the agent wanted was for you to tell him that you're looking at role A at client B and role C at client D etc so he can punt at client B and D.

I always tell agents "sorry I don't discuss roles that another agency are discussing with me as I'm sure that he/she would prefer me not to discuss the role they've called about with another agent" it tends to shut them up unless they've got something real.

At a guess at least 50% of the calls I've had in the last 2 months have been agents fishing for leads, I get rid of those calls very quickly as I've got better things to do with my time.

Comment

Originally posted by Ashwin2007 View Post
      ... Agent replied, "My client is looking for candidates actively looking and who are in demand" and closed the conversation.

Any thoughts?

I am so glad I don't have to play this game anymore.
      How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
      Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

I am on the hunt for my next contract. Many Agents who call me ask the following questions:

(1) How long you have been looking? Which positions / companies you have so far applied?

To one Agent, I replied, "I have been looking for a week, and no interviews lined up so far", for which the Agent replied, "My client is looking for candidates actively looking and who are in demand" and closed the conversation.

If I had answered (truly) that two interviews have been lined up (which will prove that I am in demand), the Agent would certainly have asked what those companies are. Why would an Agent consider a candidate ("in demand") who is already interviewing for other companies?

Instead of straight away discussing the job description, suitability, availability etc., why do the agents ask these questions, and what possible answers one can give for the above questions, and what do they really expect?

Any thoughts?
        I usually say "would you like me telling other agents about your role?"

Comment

And why would a client have any interest in whether the candidate was "actively looking".

It's bolloks,

tim

Comment

Had one today:

Picked up your CV and just need a few more details to place you.
            • Are you currently working?
            • How long have you been looking & Why?

I have a few positions that you would be Ideal for, all I need is a reference that I can call to put you forward
            • Have you got a previous client or employer & Tel No that I can contact?

I gave him a company that went out of business 5 years ago.

He said he'd email his details and the job details straight to me Nothing
            Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

You can usually tell within about 2 seconds whether they are genuine or not, simply by the amount of time they are willing to spend discussing anything BUT the role in question.

I find the ones with a actual live role get straight to the point, as they are usually pretty busy. And for that, I get straight to the point too. For the timewasters, I either hang up or if i've nothing better to do spin them along.

Comment

Working...
              X