• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

rates are going down

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rates are going down

i'm getting the same message from practically every agent i am talking to..."forget what you were on a year ago or two years ago ... theres a credit crunch on" rates definitely seem to have come down ... might be best to just get what you can for now......

Are rates going down or are margins for agents going up?

I'm pretty sure this "credit crunch" bollox is agent speak for upping margins.

Comment

Not seeing rates going down in web development. Much higher than this time last year, and they'd been quite static for several years before that.

Comment

There may be pockets of that sort of behaviour from agents but reading between the lines there does seem to be low business confidence which may translate into lower rates. For example I was talking to my ex manager at Atos Origin .. a major consultancy, and they are "having a massive clampdown on contractor usage at the moment"

Also more contractors on the bench means greater competition for contracts .... it's almost as if businesses themselves are using the "credit crunch" as an excuse to lower rates even if they aren't really suffering....

Comment

Show them you're a real business by using the "credit crunch" as an excuse to raise your rate!

Comment

Originally posted by Malingering BA View Post
            Show them you're a real business by using the "credit crunch" as an excuse to raise your rate!
            RPI is 5%. Put your rates up and tell them to fook orf.

Comment

Originally posted by hgllgh View Post
              For example I was talking to my ex manager at Atos Origin .. a major consultancy, and they are "having a massive clampdown on contractor usage at the moment"
              I spent a couple of years working for Atos Origin on a project for VOSA - they chose not to renew any of the contractors at one point, but then realised their mistake and tried to get some of them back, by which time it was too late as they'd all moved on to new things.
              Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                Right on. That's what "real businesses" do.

Comment

http://www.jobstats.co.uk/jobstats.d/Rates.html

http://www.jobstats.co.uk/jobstats.d...80811.1431.png

A bit up and down, but rates look generally good.

Agents are trying it on. No doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                    i like your argument but if you tell them to fook off ..... they probably will leaving me out of work

Comment

Working...
                    X