• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I just need to get two references ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm new to contracting and have spent the past few weeks navigating the shark infested waters for the first time. I've been reading a lot of the very valuable information on the forum and thank you all for that.

I have to say it's a real eye opener but quite a fun little game in some ways at the same time. Some of the agents are so transparent its like they aren't even there, or at least you'd be forgiven for thinking so if it wasn't for the whiney voice giving them away

An interesting breed and they strike me as very much like estate agents but with a bit less soul. Having said that and to be completely fair some do seem a lot better than others.

I'm not ashamed to admit that I did fall for the 2 references line on one of my first leads but have since dealt with 2 further requests in a more fitting way

First gig now in the bag so hoping I won't have to deal with the sharks again for a while!

Comment

I've just been asked to provide 3!! references for an assignment.

Comment

Originally posted by chineseJohn View Post
        I've just been asked to provide 3!! references for an assignment.
        The agent is very desperate.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

How many times do I have to say this ?

It's a scam. To be fair, it's not likely to be the fault of the droid you are being hassled by, their management make them do the dirty work.

I have a modest suggestion, next time someone asks you for references, say

"My mate Dominic Connor is writing an article about references for The Register, he would love to hear about agents that ask for references, is it OK for me to tell him about you ?"

...and yes I am, but need more material to make it into a complete piece.
          My 12 year old is walking 26 miles for Cardiac Risk in the Young, you can sponsor him here

Comment

Originally posted by Dominic Connor View Post
            It's a scam. To be fair, it's not likely to be the fault of the droid you are being hassled by, their management make them do the dirty work..
            Agreed it's a scam. I have actually got the assignment, so they're not asking before hand. But it's obvious it's a leads gathering exercise.

For a start - apart from my last line manager, who's still in the job the other 2 have moved on to other jobs.

The form says must have work address/telephone number then it's followed by my job title and dates at the place. But my friend call him Mr X, is not longer at company X but now company Y.

I will put down his old workplace, that'll confuse them.

Comment

Had another of these calls this morning for a contract role in cloggy land. Agent gave me no information about the role aside from the job title and location and was then very pushy to get me to divulge my current Clientco contact details. When I politely refused saying that I only provide contacts when there is an offer on the table he hung up - I suppose it wasted less time that way but hanging up on someone isn't professional.
              Last edited by redgiant; 22 July 2013, 09:52.

Comment

Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                I looked up the agent who was hassling me for references, Number 2 street dancer in the UK. I kid you not. I guess it doesn't pay that street dancing stuff, so he's obviously moved on to phone hustling.

More seriously, It's pretty humiliating to explain to these doughnuts what you actually do for a living.
                One of my agent contacts on LinkedIn was a bar manager prior to becoming Senior Midrange Space Resourcer. It's on his CV. I never put my previous role as an Elephant Circumciser on there, the money was awful.

Enormous tips though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                  One of my agent contacts on LinkedIn was a bar manager prior to becoming Senior Midrange Space Resourcer. It's on his CV. I never put my previous role as an Elephant Circumciser on there, the money was awful.

Enormous tips though...

So Elephants are Jewish ... you learn something new every day Also the pay must have been peanuts not just awful

Comment

Originally posted by redgiant View Post
                    So Elephants are Jewish ... you learn something new every day Also the pay must have been peanuts not just awful
                    I got fired for getting the sack...

Comment

There is another side to this scam that so many of you condemn with such self righteous indignation. The agency and contractor market operates in a way that IT contractors are able to market their skills without it costing them a penny. I am sure some of you with further righteous indignation will howl that you do pay agents out of your earnings. However there are not many businesses that can be kept in work without it costing them a lot of money. The transfer of information is how this system works so well.
                      A few of you would do well to remember this.
                      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Working...
                      X