• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I just need to get two references ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    Not content with trying it on with Fishing trips it seems at least one Agency is trying to plunder peoples entire contact network.....

I take it you are not aware that Tiger Consulting is a well known Financial Consultancy Firm, which has a side arm recruitment agency. In other words there core business recruits Project Managers and Programme Managers to work on client sites, pretty much like IBM, Carne Consulting, Citisoft etc.

Personally in this market if Tiger are recruiting then that is quite a good sign.
    I don't want to achieve immortality through my work... I want to achieve it through not dying...

Comment

Originally posted by Another Dodgy Agent View Post
      I take it you are not aware that Tiger Consulting is a well known Financial Consultancy Firm, which has a side arm recruitment agency. In other words there core business recruits Project Managers and Programme Managers to work on client sites, pretty much like IBM, Carne Consulting, Citisoft etc.

Personally in this market if Tiger are recruiting then that is quite a good sign.

where? oh you mean THEIR, noticable how many Agents don't understand that there are 3 words that sound similar, but mean totally different things and are spelled differently.

When you read the text it's quite clear that they are looking for people to take part in their RECRUITMENT business

you will be rewarded with a flexible work timetable to fit around your existing commitments coupled with a substantial passive income and a unique insight into the IT recruitment market
      I can't see anything in their advert that indicates that they're looking to fill a client role, it reads to me that they want commission only people who're happy to run up their own phonebills and use their own accomodation and computer resources (so no overheads) to place people at clients. Of course a new person brought on board comes with a whole raft of potential contacts to sell to.

Not that I'm in ANY way cynical about people in your line of work, but it's a clear fishing expedition on an industrial scale.

Comment

where? oh you mean THEIR, noticable how many Agents don't understand that there are 3 words that sound similar, but mean totally different things and are spelled differently.

When you read the text it's quite clear that they are looking for people to take part in their RECRUITMENT business

I can't see anything in their advert that indicates that they're looking to fill a client role, it reads to me that they want commission only people who're happy to run up their own phonebills and use their own accomodation and computer resources (so no overheads) to place people at clients. Of course a new person brought on board comes with a whole raft of potential contacts to sell to.

Not that I'm in ANY way cynical about people in your line of work, but it's a clear fishing expedition on an industrial scale.
        So pedantic! I am multi tasking so don't have time to make sure everything I type here is perfectly grammatical

Anyhow Tiger Consultants business is quite niche, they mainly supply to the Fund Administration industry so I suspect would not be on a fishing exercise as they know all the major players in Fund Admin.

If the ad is purely to train up ex IT into consultants then that is not unusual, virtually our entire new business team are ex IT - clients naturally prefer talking to someone that used to do the job they are recruiting for rather than some sheister ex double glazing sales person type.
        I don't want to achieve immortality through my work... I want to achieve it through not dying...

Comment

spelt

Comment

Originally posted by robbie274 View Post
            spelt

Comment

If the ad is purely to train up ex IT into consultants then that is not unusual, virtually our entire new business team are ex IT - clients naturally prefer talking to someone that used to do the job they are recruiting for rather than some sheister ex double glazing sales person type.
              Evidence?

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                Evidence?

Evidence is going to be a bit tricky unless I reveal myself and the company I work for. Care to put your full contact details on here?

However I can confirm that we have two ex IT Trainers, 2 ex support people, 1 ex project manager and 2 ex developers. I myself have never been in sales but joined the agency 10 odd years ago as a CV typist (using WordPerfect 5.1 at the time) and subseqently "fell" into account management and business development. I don't sell but I do network and many of my contractors have subsequently become good friends.

Finally the agency founder and shareholders are all ex IT.

Good enough?
                Last edited by Another Dodgy Agent; 4 February 2009, 17:03. Reason: cos I cant type properly!

Comment

Good enough?
                  So all the dodgy ex-estate agents work in a different part of the office then?

Comment

Originally posted by P1mpAndPr0ud View Post
                    So all the dodgy ex-estate agents work in a different part of the office then?

Any ex sales types we have taken on have not worked to best practice so for one reason or another left or were fired. Quite frankly the ex sales folk we had were too agressive and also because we have no sales targets were exceptionally lazy.

Comment

Originally posted by fitzy73 View Post
                      Been out now for 3 months - 1 month was moving house and sat on my hole for the last 2. Usual story, Jobserved to death, and now dealing with the cretins.

Over the last month, nearly every agency has asked for two references before they will "put me forward". Now I didn't come down in the last shower, so I've refused thus far. You want the name of someone in my ex company who works in IT - ring reception you lazy twat?

I've just got off the phone with another guy, who after giving me the usual pie in the sky job spec (Yeah, PM job in the city, dude) had a standoff viz revealing my referees. However, and as much as I don't want to believe it, he seemed genuine enough that the company needed two references.

I've worked in IT long enough to smell agency horse manure from 1,000 yards, but it got just wanted to see if anyone on here has had a similar reference request which turned out to be genuine?
                      Ask the agent for two references for: him/her, his agency and your prospective manager. You should be protected from knob-heads also.

Comment

Working...
                      X