• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I just need to get two references ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A contract which had lasted a few years came to its end in Feb - so in ther interim Ive been in touch with several agencies for assignments- not one of them even mentioned references.

And Ive just accepted a new six month contract.

You see there are some fine agencies out there too !

Comment

Just had another great one from a guy at Hays Recruitment. Apparently he had a few specs he wanted to send me, but before he did that, he wanted to know what companies I had already sent my CV to.

Apparently he couldn't send me the specs if I had already been to that company, so I said I would tell him once I had read the specs if I had already sent my CV to that client and he said OK. Still waiting for that email...

Comment

Originally posted by Rabotnik View Post
        I had some fool yesterday waste my time for about 10 mins telling me all about this BI role and how I would be team leader building a data warehouse from scratch, then at the end of the conversation he slips in "I just need to get one more thing before I forward your CV to the client. I will send you a form from the client on which you need to put 2 references so they can ask you why you chose those to references at the interview."...that made no sense, so I said if the client wanted references I would provide them at the interview, and he said "Oh we just need their names, you don't have to provide phone numbers.". So it's not like he can get the company phone number off their website and just call them and ask to speak to John Smith in IT

I told him I would pass on the role since I would not be providing him with any references and he said the whole "ok I will keep your CV for any other roles then" line. The role sounded prett legit up to that point, so I think it was/is a real role, but he just calls anyone that applies to get references from them even though he has no intention of putting their CV forward. Previously the roles sounded really fake and I could tell they were fishing calls. Perhaps now the agents are trying to sound as convincing as possible, even using the "This form is from the client" line to make me think it's definitely not the agent trying to get leads.

Complete waste of time!
        he called me yesterday...

Comment

Originally posted by carlosLondon View Post
          he called me yesterday...
          The poor guy, if only someone would give him his 2 references, he could place them in that role

Comment

Classic case

Hi [Name],

Please speaking with you just now.

As discussed, please send over the contact details for anybody you are happy for me to contact to enhance your profile.

In the meantime I will get started with marketing you out to clients I think would be of interest.

Thanks again

Tom Townsend
            Sales Consultant

Direct Dial: +44 (0)20 8254 7478
            Telephone: +44 (0)20 8647 3999
            Fax: +44 (0)20 8647 2777
            E-mail: [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by gemasp View Post
              Classic case

Hi [Name],

Please speaking with you just now.

As discussed, please send over the contact details for anybody you are happy for me to contact to enhance your profile.

In the meantime I will get started with marketing you out to clients I think would be of interest.

Thanks again

Tom Townsend
              Sales Consultant

Direct Dial: +44 (0)20 8254 7478
              Telephone: +44 (0)20 8647 3999
              Fax: +44 (0)20 8647 2777
              E-mail: [email protected]
              Is Tom the new Bob?

Comment

I have had a few of these calls and sometimes they will go through a very elaborate job specification for 5 - 10 minutes. Then at the end they will say they will put you forward for the position but before they do they spring the the old "We need two references" trick!

I usually respond using one of the following:-
                1: If the client needs references, i will provide them at the interview.

2: Telling them they are being very unprofessional.

3: Or, that I know they are only doing what they have been told to do and that their manager should know better! :-)

4: That the roles are security cleared and I could not possibly divulge managers names! (I say this whether it was security cleared or not!) :-)

Comment

Some chancer from Taurus tech recruitment called, said we'd spoken in the past (couldn't remember this) but wanted my cv so he "could ideally skill match with up and coming roles". Told him I wouldn't be sending my cv unless he had a definite role to fill as nawtee agencies use it to generate leads from non-existence contracts. "Okay, I'll call you back in five minutes with a suitable role."

I'm still waiting.

qh
                  He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
                    Some chancer from Taurus tech recruitment called, said we'd spoken in the past (couldn't remember this) but wanted my cv so he "could ideally skill match with up and coming roles". Told him I wouldn't be sending my cv unless he had a definite role to fill as nawtee agencies use it to generate leads from non-existence contracts. "Okay, I'll call you back in five minutes with a suitable role."

I'm still waiting.

qh
                    Why would you hold back your CV? Surely you don't name people/references on it??

Comment

No refs on CV, it was just the massive vagueness on the pimp's part saying he had a suitable role and not bothering to get back.

Have no issue in sending CV to pimps provided its for a suitable vacant role.

qh
                      He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Working...
                      X