• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I just need to get two references ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scam really

Here's a good one from [email protected] via web-02.gs.broadbean.net ....

Good Evening

Thank you for your recent application regarding the advertised position. As you are probably aware, there has been a significant increase in the number of candidates applying for the same vacancy – whether this is direct or through an agency. Due to the competitive nature of the market, each position can now attract anything up to 50 candidates per role.

Particularly over the last 6 months, we have found if we submit an CV/application with two pre-qualified references this significantly increases you chances of being selected for interview above non pre-referenced candidates. In some instances, we are now supplying organisations that require 2 references, or covering the last 3 years before submission anyway. This is something we feel will extend to far more organisations as their choice of candidates increases.

With the above in mind, could you please provide us with the contact details from 2 reference names from previous assignments within the last 3 years. Ideally, the reference contact would have been your reporting manager at the time. I hope you appreciate how the required information will assist you for potential vacancies ongoing.
    Regards

Comment

Been called by an agent yesterday.

AGENT:Good morning, it's janet from f'cks'ke Recruitment
      ME:Good morning Janet

<Silence.....>

ME:Good morning Janet, how can I help you?
      AGENT:You have applied with us?

ME:Possibly
      AGENT:Have you applied with us?

ME:Where did you get my phone number?
      AGENT:From your application

ME:Then I have applied with you
      AGENT:What position have you applied for?

ME:The one you got my phone number from
      AGENT:Ah, that one is gone

ME:Thanks for letting me know. Goodbye
      AGENT:Wait. Are you coming to register with us?

ME:Register? What for?

<Silence. Agent puts phone on hold, ask her colleague and comes back>

AGENT:So that we can get two recent references from you
      ME: <Hangs up>
      <Insert idea here> will never be adopted because the politicians are in the pockets of the banks!

Comment

I had some fool yesterday waste my time for about 10 mins telling me all about this BI role and how I would be team leader building a data warehouse from scratch, then at the end of the conversation he slips in "I just need to get one more thing before I forward your CV to the client. I will send you a form from the client on which you need to put 2 references so they can ask you why you chose those to references at the interview."...that made no sense, so I said if the client wanted references I would provide them at the interview, and he said "Oh we just need their names, you don't have to provide phone numbers.". So it's not like he can get the company phone number off their website and just call them and ask to speak to John Smith in IT

I told him I would pass on the role since I would not be providing him with any references and he said the whole "ok I will keep your CV for any other roles then" line. The role sounded prett legit up to that point, so I think it was/is a real role, but he just calls anyone that applies to get references from them even though he has no intention of putting their CV forward. Previously the roles sounded really fake and I could tell they were fishing calls. Perhaps now the agents are trying to sound as convincing as possible, even using the "This form is from the client" line to make me think it's definitely not the agent trying to get leads.

Complete waste of time!

Comment

Originally posted by Rabotnik View Post
          I had some fool yesterday waste my time for about 10 mins telling me all about this BI role and how I would be team leader building a data warehouse from scratch, then at the end of the conversation he slips in "I just need to get one more thing before I forward your CV to the client. I will send you a form from the client on which you need to put 2 references so they can ask you why you chose those to references at the interview."...that made no sense, so I said if the client wanted references I would provide them at the interview, and he said "Oh we just need their names, you don't have to provide phone numbers.". So it's not like he can get the company phone number off their website and just call them and ask to speak to John Smith in IT

I told him I would pass on the role since I would not be providing him with any references and he said the whole "ok I will keep your CV for any other roles then" line. The role sounded prett legit up to that point, so I think it was/is a real role, but he just calls anyone that applies to get references from them even though he has no intention of putting their CV forward. Previously the roles sounded really fake and I could tell they were fishing calls. Perhaps now the agents are trying to sound as convincing as possible, even using the "This form is from the client" line to make me think it's definitely not the agent trying to get leads.

Complete waste of time!
          If they aren't going to contact the references until after you've secured the role, then just give them fake names, secure the role, and then give the new names.

Comment

steer well clear of K2 Partnering - they are "gimme 2 references before I tell who the job is for" jokers
            Ruxandra was her name
            Not just me either a collgeague of mine had the same treatment

Comment

Originally posted by anonymous_person View Post
              steer well clear of K2 Partnering - they are "gimme 2 references before I tell who the job is for" jokers
              Ruxandra was her name
              Not just me either a collgeague of mine had the same treatment
              Bearing in mind most agents do this I hardly think it is reason to steer clear. Give them 2 old agents or just refuse flat.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I'd just refuse flat. An agency is not going to forfeit a possible placement if you're the right one for the job ... and when the process of interview/placement will give them the names of your referrees later down the track. I just get very vague with the question, tell them I don't have contact details at hand but I'll be happy to provide them at a later date.

Comment

Do recruiters really make notes on you and keep it with your CV for future reference? I used to tell them what kind of company I'm working at and what work I am doing, but I just had a blatant fishing call where the guy wanted to know about my current role and what the company does, obviously so he can place someone here.

He started off by asking when I was available and I said Monday and he said the job he had needed someone to start tomorrow (what a shame...). Then he went straight into "What does the company do?", "How big are the teams?", "What were they paying you?". I said I would rather not share their details and he said "OK I will keep your CV for future roles.".

This got me thinking about all the other fakers who I've spoken to - usually I described my work even though I sensed they were BS'ing since I thought they would actually consider me for a real role. Now I think I have been a muppet and as soon as I know there is no role I should hang up...

Comment

I'm a tad wary of references in the UK, but I have found that agencies in cloggers, in particular the higher end ones will want a reference and will contact said manager to find out why you left etc...

PITA as you're not sure which ones are fishing and which ones are doing a check.

If I was back in the UK it is normally an outright no references till you get me the gig and then the client will get them and not you.

I worked in such a small niche market in the UK that everyone knew everyone else, so the person interviewing you would have asked your mate who he was working with what you were like.
                    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

The guy I spoke to yesterday has just put a new role up (which I would be perfect for, strange he hasn't called me...) and now he has put in the ad "Please note my client does require references from your past 2 employers to be within the CV.". So now he doesn't even have to call people to get his 2 references out of them, some mugs will just send him leads by email!

Comment

Working...
                      X