• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I just need to get two references ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stek View Post
    Why not give them the name of the company you work for, ie your own limited and write your own reference?
    Because not even agents are that stupid.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Just had some of this, this morning - Modis.
      Need 2 references before they can submit, as their "system requires 2 references as part of the inputting of details to the end client, it's a mandatory part of the process".
      Reason: they have had candidates who have not been truthful about previous work on their CV.
      Which actually means, I'm guessing, they will contact referees, otherwise how can they qualify the CV details? Whilst I have nothing to hide, and my CV is legit, I wouldn't want previous clients being pestered & quizzed.
      I'll provide 2 agency names and see what happens. I suspect though that this won't be sufficient and won't get put fwd for the 'role'.
      Agents:
      Clarity is everything

Comment

Originally posted by craig1 View Post
        There is a growing number of desperate agents pretending to be candidates to attempt to steal clients and contracts. I'd compromise in this situation and offer to prove I'm a real person by sending copies of my passport or driving license.
        Whoever gave me neg rep for this hugely missed the point! If you're offered an interview then where's the harm in OFFERING ID as a compromise, if it's a fake interview then they'll keep pushing for references and you can tell them to go forth and multiply without sending them anything. If it's a real interview then they may just compromise and accept that as proof that you're not another agency trying to steal their client.

There's paranoid and then there's too paranoid.

Comment

Another cheap trick want to share..

2 weeks back got called by an agent for a very popular vacancy which was in most of the JobSites for more than a month. When I finished my last contract 2 of my other contractor colleagues also finished at the same time. I won't be surprised if they had applied for this vacancy.

The fact which surprised me was the agent mentioned me that Mr.X and Mr.Y had also applied for the same job and asked my opinion if they are as good as me for this kind of role.

Had never seen such an un-prof kind of qus b4
          What on earth was she expecting me to say.
          That they are much more qualified and skilled than me so pls consider them instead of me.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
            2 weeks back got called by an agent for a very popular vacancy which was in most of the JobSites for more than a month. When I finished my last contract 2 of my other contractor colleagues also finished at the same time. I won't be surprised if they had applied for this vacancy.

The fact which surprised me was the agent mentioned me that Mr.X and Mr.Y had also applied for the same job and asked my opinion if they are as good as me for this kind of role.

That they are much more qualified and skilled than me so pls consider them instead of me.

Nothing wrong with asking per se, but you're hardly going to say they're better than you.

As it happens before Xmas I was in for a role interview all arranged and the agent asked if I knew another contractor as it looked we had worked at the same place around the same time.

I did so she asked what's he like is he any good as he has interview as well.

I said he was. Turns out she'd asked the same to him, and he had said similar about me (so he says!!)

We both interviewed but neither of us got the role

Comment

market is bad if...

the market is real bad if you get too many "I need two references", "who do you used to report to" kind of calls....you are desperate...recruiters are equally desperate....nowadays instead of getting pi---d of, i just pass on some random names as references

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                Because not even agents are that stupid.
                Agents may not be but I did exactly this when applying for Security clearance and was duly contacted to provide a reference for myself. Which I duly did and SC clearance was granted.
                "Israel, Palestine, Cats." He Said
                "See?"

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post

I'd go with the "they were both highly professional people and when they approached me for advice on the subject matter I was safe in the knowledge they would take heed of my advice".

Never miss an opportunity to big yourself up
                  Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                  I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by NickNick View Post
                    Agents may not be but I did exactly this when applying for Security clearance and was duly contacted to provide a reference for myself. Which I duly did and SC clearance was granted.
                    Presumably they didn't ask for Mr Nick Fitz, then ask if Mr Nick Fitz had worked there etc?

Comment

A Step-By-Step Guide To Contractor Fishing (Lead Generation) For Recruitment Consultants

1) If find a CV on a job search engine, call the contractor saying “we have just the perfect position for you”.. we don’t actually have any jobs for them

2) Ask for references and who they are/were working for in order to find out the names of people at different companies who hire contractors, especially those who are hiring them currently. Pass any references obtained to sales staff .. sales will call these references to check for current/future vacancies

3) Ask for names of companies where the contractor has been for an interview, or where their CV has been sent – this shows which companies are CURRENTLY looking for contractors. We can then contact the companies and put our own candidates up against the contractor

An alternative to 1) is to make up a fictions job, post it on job search engine and wait for email applications.

Comment

Working...
                      X