• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I just need to get two references ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1.) Once gave references to two agencies. My referees were indeed phoned for my background check, plus the agencies also discussed "business prospects" with them. But, the agencies were polite to call me back after a week saying the client rejected my resume as..... I don't have client facing experience,...too much mngmt experience and too less blah blah....etc.

2.) Another instance an agent spoke to me for almost half-an hour asking from my educational background, how do I rate myself among my uni classmates... to my hobbies.....I was naive at that time and now I wonder if I have ended up providing any confidential info...

3.) An agent calls up openly fishing for info, what interviews I have appeared, which company it was for...he hangs up(I could hear the phone being banged at the other end) when I said its all confidential.

Inference:-
    i.) an agent will be shady if he calls from a "private number"
    ii.) Shady agents pick up CVs from cwjobs.com, totaljobs.com.

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
      As a matter of interest - has anyone who's been asked for 2 references working in a role that is required, by law, or professional bodies to have qualifications or authorisation to work in that position; or is working with people under 18; or is working with people who are deemed vulnerable? If any of those is the case then the agency is required, under the terms of The Conduct of Employment Agencies and Employment Businesses 2003 legislation, to see copies of all qualifications and 2 references from non-family members.

HTH
      Yes, but only by Capita. Needless to say I never bothered to send them all the guff they asked for....

Comment

My current contract came to a close last week. I took my time getting my CV out this time as I fancy a week or two of doing nothing bar sitting in the garden or playing computer games. I reopened my Jobserve, Jobsite and CWJobs accounts with my new CV yesterday and have already had four of these "I have immediate roles available at a confidential client but I need to get two references from you first" calls.

One this morning was particularly robust in her drive to get names from me. I refused to give references stating that I'd give them to a client directly if they offer me a role. She said she needed to verify where I worked over the last two years, I gave her the names of my recruitment agents. That wasn't enough so I said write to "HR Department, Client Name". Again, that wasn't enough, she needed the line manager's name, especially the one I finished with on Friday.

When I refused, she went onto "OK, what interviews have you lined up and where have you applied recently? I need this to ensure I don't put you forward for something you already have applied for". I told her she shouldn't be putting me forward for any roles without my permission anyway and I'd tell her if I were already conflicted. She insisted that she needed the places I'd applied for to save her bothering me with inappropriate roles. Again, I refused stating that any applications I make are confidential to protect both my interests and the client's.

She got quite huffy, promised to send me her details and keep me "up to date" with how my application for the unnamed company was going. If I do hear from her again and it is a valid role, I swear by almighty $deity that I will donate £100 to a worthy charity, if I actually get the unnamed role I'll donate £1000 to charity.

p.s. It is quite disconcerting how many of those international money-laundering spam jobs I've had on my jobhunting email addresses since I put my CV out yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by craig1 View Post
          p.s. It is quite disconcerting how many of those international money-laundering spam jobs I've had on my jobhunting email addresses since I put my CV out yesterday.
          I've not seen any of those spams. google's filter must be getting better.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy Bob View Post
            1) When I'm hiring for a Client Co I never ask for references. All they say nowadays is that you worked somewhere between two different dates. I really don't care about that, I only care that you can do the job, so don't bother with them.

2) When I've been looking for a contract I've never been asked for references for a genuine role.

Make of those two things as you will...
            1) How do you know if the candidate is what he says if you cannot verify?
            2) I find it difficult to believe that you have had two or more contracts without ever providing a reference

Comment

Originally posted by craig1 View Post
              If I do hear from her again and it is a valid role, I swear by almighty $deity that I will donate £100 to a worthy charity, if I actually get the unnamed role I'll donate £1000 to charity.

Oh I'll take that bet. Blatant fishing IMO - no client name supplied, but you should provide details about yours? It's a real shame your charity won't benefit.

Taita - I've had quite a few contracts where either
              1. I haven't supplied references
              2. References were not taken up at the time, but client got sales calls a few months later.
              Don't think I've ever had one where I was checked at the time and I've worked on 'secure' sites. (bit depressing that)
              +50 Xeno Geek Points
              Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
              As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by eliquant View Post
                Its a lie, interviewers never ask for references up front .. never ever in City / Banking jobs not even after Sep 11th etc.

Its a trick, I'm telling you straight its a TRICK !
                The cretins always promise me that they will never use my references until after the contract is offered. From experience, that's never used if I submit, anyway - employers want to get you up and started without wasting time, so I like that. It all starts with respect, for me.

I keep trying the old perm stuff occasionally, when I get stuck with nothing, but it's still so immature, eg. refs, and weeks on the sliproad, waiting, trying any way they can find to turn applicants away if anyone's not 100% perfect.

People on here are the only people I can trust.

Comment

Originally posted by Taita View Post
                  2) I find it difficult to believe that you have had two or more contracts without ever providing a reference

I've been contracting about 17 years and have only, to my recollection, given references out once and that was back in 1998.

The only thing I've ever had to do is have previous agents verify that dates and clients on CV match.

Current gig went through 6 weeks of background checks and there were NO REFERENCES given or checked.
                  When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

I'm learning so much from this thread, and Through experience. Had a pimp call me to "get me registered" which I refused (I know the agency in question is on a perm psl at a former client). Then they call back about a perm role, which I said I wasn't interested in. Then 2 mins later called back with "oh yeah this perm role is for a former client of yours, sure you don't want it? I said no, again. They said "would you do it on contract until they find someone else? Me: maybe. Them: oh, so can I just ask, how did you get your contract form them, did you go direct? Who was the agent you got it from? What was your rate there? Etc etc.

I didn't give any detail as knew they were trying it on to get as much info to get the contract psl. Suffice to say I never heard back.

Bloody minefield.

Comment

Originally posted by Taita View Post
                      I've been contracting since 2004 and have never provided a reference, neither has a client ever asked for one.

Boo

Comment

Working...
                      X