• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I just need to get two references ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hawkeye View Post
    I could not believe it but that agent that threw me a few weeks back with his rudeness had the nerve to call me again today phishing for references. Could not believe my ears!
    You remember him, but to him your name and phone number is just one on a massive list so you're just a faceless source to cold call and attempt to prise leads from.

I'm not in the slightest bit surprised.

Comment

Just had the "need a copy of photo ID and two references (ideally a backup as well)" email from an agent who I'd discussed a role with.

Funnily enough the role was almost a 100% match for my skills with an ideal location, rate and I could start when convenient. You know what they say when something sounds too good to be true!

Comment

As a matter of interest - has anyone who's been asked for 2 references working in a role that is required, by law, or professional bodies to have qualifications or authorisation to work in that position; or is working with people under 18; or is working with people who are deemed vulnerable? If any of those is the case then the agency is required, under the terms of The Conduct of Employment Agencies and Employment Businesses 2003 legislation, to see copies of all qualifications and 2 references from non-family members.

HTH
        Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
          As a matter of interest - has anyone who's been asked for 2 references working in a role that is required, by law, or professional bodies to have qualifications or authorisation to work in that position; or is working with people under 18; or is working with people who are deemed vulnerable? If any of those is the case then the agency is required, under the terms of The Conduct of Employment Agencies and Employment Businesses 2003 legislation, to see copies of all qualifications and 2 references from non-family members.

HTH
          But... "prior to engagement", not "prior to selection for consideration". Subtle but important difference.
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
            But... "prior to engagement", not "prior to selection for consideration". Subtle but important difference.
            Oh ok if we're going to be picky "neither an agency or employment business may introduce or supply to a hirer..........etc.etc"
            Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Oh ok if we're going to be picky "neither an agency or employment business may introduce or supply to a hirer..........etc.etc"
              Exactly. Proof of ID, References and Residency checks only apply to those selected for interview, nobody needs them before that.
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

HTH
                The people I know who have these requirements for their positions are contractors but not in IT.

The rest are asked for residency etc once they are selected for interview or after they have the position depending on the client. Agencies don't tend to like doing any paperwork which is why the opt-in/opt-out causes problems for them.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Feeling completely taken in

applied for advertised job, had discussion with agent, who said I was perfect for the short contract involved.
                  -he just need my details!
                  . . . . . . . . . .
                  email arrived . . . . .

"Please can you forward across to me the following asap:-

I need the last 2 companies you worked at with the following: -

· Manager Name you were reporting too

· Contract Numbers

I also need: -

Scanned image of your passport and Visa documentation (if appropriate)

CSCS Card

Bank details (Bank Name, Account Number, Sort Code)

Ltd Company Details (if you have a LTD company)

I need your timesheets signed and faxed into us by Monday morning at the latest (the fax number is below)"

LIKE AN IDIOT, I provided these
                  Needless to say the contract start date has passed, & my phone calls & emails are being ignored.

I'm not new to contracting so I feel really bad that I've fallen for this.

All I can think of doing now, is to contact the agents manager complaining of the unproffesional behaviour, & asking for my details to be wiped from their database.

Any suggestions of anything further I could do?

Comment

Your best bet is to learn the lesson and move on. You're not the first to do it and you certainly won't be the last, and as long as people continue to provide this information they'll continue to request it.

Comment

Originally posted by Stellman View Post
                      applied for advertised job, had discussion with agent, who said I was perfect for the short contract involved.
                      -he just need my details!
                      . . . . . . . . . .
                      email arrived . . . . .

"Please can you forward across to me the following asap:-

I need the last 2 companies you worked at with the following: -

· Manager Name you were reporting too

· Contract Numbers

I also need: -

Scanned image of your passport and Visa documentation (if appropriate)

CSCS Card

Bank details (Bank Name, Account Number, Sort Code)

Ltd Company Details (if you have a LTD company)

I need your timesheets signed and faxed into us by Monday morning at the latest (the fax number is below)"

LIKE AN IDIOT, I provided these
                      Needless to say the contract start date has passed, & my phone calls & emails are being ignored.

I'm not new to contracting so I feel really bad that I've fallen for this.

All I can think of doing now, is to contact the agents manager complaining of the unproffesional behaviour, & asking for my details to be wiped from their database.

Any suggestions of anything further I could do?
                      Speak to the REC. Simple. That's sounding very underhand.
                      "Being a permy is like being married, when there's no more sex on the cards....and she's got fat."
                      SlimRick

Can't argue with that

Comment

Working...
                      X