• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I just need to get two references ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Agents View View Post
    A HR reference tells you NOTHING other than employment dates, and to be honest, if you were a proper contractor, HR wouldn't even know you'd worked with the company.
    Must say, I'm with TAV on this one - stay out of HR's sights for as long as you can (it can be done).
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Where is the pinnochio smiley when you need it

Hi CheeseSlice,

As discussed if you could send me the contact details of someone (more the better) who can professionally endorse your work that would be hugely beneficial to your CV. I will only use the endorsements for your own benefit and use the references I get when taking your CV to a client.

If you have any queries please do not hesitate to get in touch
      Kind regards

A. Recruiter
      Contract Consultant
      Modis International

Comment

stupid agency

Hi

Just had some agency forward me a role when I applied for it they phoned me and ask for a reference.
        When I said no ill give you after they accept she just said right we wont send your CV then...

I really think these agencys should be black listed or regulated the agancy in question was roc-search.com I wouldn't give the persons name but I feel like I should.

Comment

Originally posted by slinkydonkey View Post
          Hi

Just had some agency forward me a role when I applied for it they phoned me and ask for a reference.
          When I said no ill give you after they accept she just said right we wont send your CV then...

I really think these agencys should be black listed or regulated the agancy in question was roc-search.com I wouldn't give the persons name but I feel like I should.
          Its called fishing, the role probably never existed.
          "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

This game is a bit like buzzword bingo.

I hope you are well. As we are approaching 2011 many of our clients are starting to discuss plans and projects for the new year. I am looking to get a head start and to establish who is available either now or in the new year.
            Please update me on the following, if you are looking for contract work:
            - Availability?
            - Geographical Radius for Work?
            - Desired Daily Rate Range?
            - Desired Job Title/s?
            - 5 Keywords that describe your skill set?
            - 5 Organisations you would like to work for?
            - Inter views in the last month?
            - Currently interviewing?
            Please could you also forward 1-2 Technical contacts I could contact to run though a Technical Reference. I will need to submit all Technical checks prior to interview as part of our SLA agreement.
            I look forward to hearing from you!
            Regards

Austin Fraser
            Last edited by worzelGummidge; 29 November 2010, 06:30.

Comment

Originally posted by slinkydonkey View Post
              Hi

If a reference is a pre-requisite of CV submission, and you refused to provide one (even a simple or written one) then what do you expect? Immediate question is "what does this person have to hide?"

Would you buy something from an ebay seller without a demonstration of thier delivery history? No. It's the same for us - we don't want to be shafted. In this climate, anyone who refuses to give some form of reference to an agent who has a genuine role, is an idiot.

The question is, did you qualify how real the role was before you decided that you couldn't provide any proof of anything that you've done, other than your word (which is worth JS in this industry)??
              "Being a permy is like being married, when there's no more sex on the cards....and she's got fat."
              SlimRick

Can't argue with that

Comment

If a reference is a pre-requisite of CV submission, and you refused to provide one (even a simple or written one) then what do you expect? Immediate question is "what does this person have to hide?"

Would you buy something from an ebay seller without a demonstration of thier delivery history? No. It's the same for us - we don't want to be shafted. In this climate, anyone who refuses to give some form of reference to an agent who has a genuine role, is an idiot.

The question is, did you qualify how real the role was before you decided that you couldn't provide any proof of anything that you've done, other than your word (which is worth JS in this industry)??
                How do you know the role is genuine?

I don't know how many times I've been called about a" possible role" and it's just one big fishing exercise.

Many times it's researchers ringing you up, talking to you about what kind of role you are looking for and then ending the call with we need two references. Which i find odd when it's a company I've been dealing with for years.

In an industry as small as mine you know the agents and you know the companies, and if a different agent rings you requesting two references and stating they need them to put you forward, and you know that clientco doesn't require, then then it's fishing.

I've been asked that recently and said I would be happy to provide references to the client directly, it's the first time I've had an agent saying they were happy for me to do that.

It's a tad difficult to ascertain if the request for "references" is genuine these days because of the widespread fishing exercises that predominate the contract market.
                Last edited by norrahe; 15 December 2010, 11:47.
                "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

I never give reference details unless I've got an interview date and contact details for the client.
                  I've even removed the "references are available on request" line from my CV. They are not available on request, they are available to those who I trust will not pester my business contacts with sales calls.

And I don't have problems getting contracts, even in "this climate"
                  Coffee's for closers

Comment

I would sack anyone who wasted time with references. It is time consuming and often you wont get an honest reference. The only time I will sanction it is if someone needs to obtain leads for business.
                    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

On reflection on this issue, I'd only allow references as a contractor in these situations:

- Interview passed and the client wants to be sure they're getting the right person; AND
                      - It's a niche industry where my reference is a well known name and it adds genuine weight to the application.

If I've managed to get through agency sifting, client sifting and interview and the client still isn't convinced then a fluff reference is going to be irrelevant in building a lasting relationship.

For me, it's absolutely pointless getting a HR "yes he worked here on a contract from x-y" unless they have reason to distrust my word on my experience. Most companies won't give a poor reference due to internal policies and potential litigation making formal references pointless in the extreme for anything other than verifying the dates on CVs. No-one in their right mind gives a reference name who is likely to say anything bad in the slightest meaning even if they were detailed references they're nothing more than fluff pieces that have no place in modern recruitment.

In interviews where I know the client knows someone I worked with elsewhere, I'm happy to name drop and let them have informal chats behind the scenes with nothing documented. At least that way I know that clients are getting my skills independently verified by someone they know and I have a far greater chance of getting a role.

Agents asking for formal references are either fishing or unwilling to tell the client the truth about how useless references really are.

Comment

Working...
                      X