• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I just need to get two references ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
    I did this back in September when I was bored! It only cost me a 3 quid bus ride and was an utter waste of time. I think the young chap who 'interviewed' me quite enjoyed thinking it made him important.
    An utter waste of time.
    You were lucky.

I had once such appointment with an agent in Leeds. I turned up, he was on a course in London. Nobody else could help me.
    Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Originally posted by Mephisto View Post
      Had it today with 'Venn Group' who insisted that, "we will be unable to forward you for any roles through us unless you come for a face to face interview, bring a copy of your passport AND provide us with two references...".

WHY?!

Surely these Agencies are losing business with this 'policy' and not to mention Venn's nearest office to me is a 200 mile round trip!
      It depends - but I would never work with a candidate that isn't prepared to believe in me when I tell them the references are for Brand Protection, deeper understanding, and peace of mind for my directors. I'll happily provide references on my work, and also allow any candidate who doubts this approach listen to the call to the referee if they really want to.

It does provide a barrier sometimes, but you can work around it - I would rather have 10 people running, who I trust implicitly, than 40 people working who "might or might not" be any good - It's not all about the money - it's about the quality approach too (in the hope that the volume comes naturally). This has meant that as a business, we have previously placed 30-40 people on single sites, at senior levels, bypassing the PSL and placing directly - the PSL didn't even get a sniff!!

TAV
      "Being a permy is like being married, when there's no more sex on the cards....and she's got fat."
      SlimRick

Can't argue with that

Comment

Originally posted by The Agents View View Post
        It depends - but I would never work with a candidate that isn't prepared to believe in me when I tell them the references are for Brand Protection, deeper understanding, and peace of mind for my directors. I'll happily provide references on my work, and also allow any candidate who doubts this approach listen to the call to the referee if they really want to.

It does provide a barrier sometimes, but you can work around it - I would rather have 10 people running, who I trust implicitly, than 40 people working who "might or might not" be any good - It's not all about the money - it's about the quality approach too (in the hope that the volume comes naturally). This has meant that as a business, we have previously placed 30-40 people on single sites, at senior levels, bypassing the PSL and placing directly - the PSL didn't even get a sniff!!

TAV
        What's the name of your agency again? I just need to strike them off my list of agencies who I can use in the future. I made a mistake of giving Hays my referees before accepting a role. They contacted them before I formally accepted, only for me to turn the role down in the end due to contractual issues.
        If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

It depends - but I would never work with a candidate that isn't prepared to believe in me when I tell them the references are for Brand Protection, deeper understanding, and peace of mind for my directors.
          I read this and almost fell off my chair laughing - "peace of mind for my directors" means "get us 10 new sales leads from gullible contractors by lunch". So, if you have 5-10 agencies ringing you up each day asking for references before they put you forward for a role, then pretty soon you are going to have some very very annoyed ex-references. Even if only half of those agents use them as sales leads it's still going to be a lot of calls.

When I was wet behind the ears and just starting out on the contractor road (before I found ContractorUK and the PCG), I fell for this line of "we need two references before putting you forward" - by a well known agency beginning with H and ending in Y. Two weeks later my references had been called multiple times by different agents from said agency - all asking if they required contractors and strangely enough none ever requesting a reference for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Mephisto View Post
            Had it today with 'Venn Group' who insisted that, "we will be unable to forward you for any roles through us unless you come for a face to face interview, bring a copy of your passport AND provide us with two references...".
            I would just like to add that I too had a face-to-face interview a few weeks ago with this agency. I was lured under the promise that they had several government contracts fitting my skillset (I have previous govt experience) and they just needed to "pre-vet" me as a formality before we discussed business. They wouldn't elaborate further over the phone.

Turns out their extensive list of contracts consisted of one role paying 50% less than market rate and I haven't heard a peep since. I'm just glad the "references" I provided was only a list of my previous three agents, so net gain for either party was zero.

Total waste of time. But at least it got me off the couch and away from Jeremy Kyle for a few hours

Comment

It depends - but I would never work with a candidate that isn't prepared to believe in me... <snip>

TAV
              But why?!

Shirley references should be something that are required AFTER an offer is made, merely as confirmation that <person> worked at <workplace> on <dates given> as <job title>. This coupled with trusting your ClientCo at interview level should be all you need as confirmation of eligibility. Is that not generally the agreed process?

Otherwise, as stated on here endlessly, the Contractor is going to be instantly suspicious, based on the very fact that rogue Agents have and continue to act insidiously with this information. You as the good guys should be distancing yourselves from this tedious bollocks by taking the very steps I have outlined above IMHO.

I just want to secure a role and continue along my (currently wonky) career path. I'm not in it to fall victim to some underhanded dealings that could/would lead to me losing those very precious and privileged referees from previous employment.

I'm actually very appreciative of the work SOME Agencies do and would perhaps go so far to say that without you, finding work would be a lot harder.
              Permietractor (probably)

Comment

an agency called me last week, describing the perfect job, he was really pumping up my tyres saying I am perfect for the role.

He said it was a government institution and said that they needed two references of me as it was part of the security clearance procedure.

I of course did not reply with my references, and I never heard back from them again even though I was perfect for the role.

Comment

same old story over and over. got emailed by an agent, perfect job for me (with the glaring flaw that it was perm!!!)

Told him wasn't interested, currently under contract and quite happy with it.

His reply was to ask where I was working and when was my contracting ending, so he could pass my info to the contracts team.

Needless to say I saw the fishing rod a mile away and didn't bother replying.

Most experienced contractors can smell this stuff a mile away, it surprises me the agents even bother trying, it just smacks of desperation and is an instant addition to my personal blacklist

"Keep them at 24,000"
                  "No, feet"

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
                    the agent has now replied, and is being very understanding

says we can sort that out IF I'm invited to interview.

Now, I know that I may well not get an interview as there may be better candidates, but either way, I do not believe I'll hear about this role again.

If I do, and things go well, with no more reference chat, I'll be happy to post about a positive experience.......but don't hold your breath!
                    Finally an update on this one........surprise surprise........ the contract role has been filled by internal staff.

Comment

I had a call from an agent last week - who after going through the usual spiel, then proceeded to inform me that I must supply her with at least one reference if she is to put me forward for the role (a role that she hadn't given me any details of yet - rate/company etc)

I politely declined.

Comment

Working...
                      X