• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract Question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract Question

Hi All,

I have just started contracting and my Agency is monthly paid and all the other bods are weekly paid so i wish to change over to there Agency.

I have spoken to said Agency and they are happy to represent me but where do i stand legally, have not had a chnace to look over contract again but could i give notice to current agency and then join the other

Cheers

Rich

It's not worth the trouble, could you not wait until the end of the month?

I don't know what your current contract states but most likely you are committed to see out the contract until it's completion.

Could you cope with using a credit card until the end of the month? (large assumption).
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Weekly / Monthly pay is a commercial negociation up front. If you signed up you should do it.

Have you asked your current agency whether they can do weekly payments? Clearly the client won't have issue with Weekly timesheets if they are doing it with the other agency.

Comment

Originally posted by rjames67 View Post
        where do i stand legally, have not had a chnace to look over contract again
        Yes, and we haven't had a chance to look over your contract either. So how on earth should we know how you stand legally?

Comment

I have spoken to my agency and they will not budge to weekly pay, thank you for all your comments.

Will have to check to see if there is a cooling off period as well

Sorry if i sound a bit vague but am new to this and this forum and just asking for help from people far more experienced than myself

Comment

You do not need to be like the others, you are not missing out.

Your contract and probably the client to agent contract will have a clause which ties you to the original agent. You may be able to change agents, but your original agent will want his cut and that will come from your wedge.

As with all newbies you still seem to think like a permie. You are in business now. You need to think different.

Why does it make a difference to you whether your business (I assume you are Ltd.) invoices weekly, monthly or on some random basis every few months?
            It is the same even if you are using a brollie. Your employer (Ltd. or Brollie) should be able to pay you every week if you want to. You may have problems with this before your first invoice is paid, but you should have thought of that before you went contracting.
            If you cant manage your finances, or forsee shortfalls and have contingencies in place then maybe you should go back to being permie.
            I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
            Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

I have spoken to my agency and they will not budge to weekly pay, thank you for all your comments.

Will have to check to see if there is a cooling off period as well

Sorry if i sound a bit vague but am new to this and this forum and just asking for help from people far more experienced than myself
              In my first contract, I opted to use a brollie. The brollie was quite flexible in providing me advance pay as and when I needed them, as long as I could prove that they would get paid by the agency. I'm not sure what your status is (i.e. Ltd, LLP, Brollie, etc). However, you should be able to ask the Agency to provide you with an advance, especially if you have provided them with a timesheet with a signature from the client.
              If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Hi All,

I have just started contracting and my Agency is monthly paid and all the other bods are weekly paid so i wish to change over to there Agency.

I have spoken to said Agency and they are happy to represent me but where do i stand legally, have not had a chnace to look over contract again but could i give notice to current agency and then join the other

Cheers

Rich

I bet they are
                Blood in your poo

Comment

If you've signed the contract for gods sake don't sign another one, you'll end up in breach of contract and liable to be sued..

If you sign another contract with a different agency..your first agent will probably throw a wobbler and threaten you with court...

If you then say oh no i'm sorry i'll come back to you because i don't want to be paying your loss of earnings court settlement, the second agent could well sue you on the same gounds...

There was a similar post on here a few weeks ago...the guy ended up in a bit of a pickle i think...

Comment

WHS to previous comments. Stick with what you have. Lesson learnt for the future.

Comment

Working...
                    X