• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Setup a ltd or not

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it worth me getting married then?!

My girlfriend is only earning about 12 grand as a recently qualified nurse. Perhaps I could make use of her unused allowance.

Can I put the wedding through as a limited expense?

Comment

Originally posted by HermanDune View Post
      I asked my father who contracts in accountancy work for Hays, Michael Page and the like whether I should set up my own limited company.

He already has a limited company of his own so I expected him to opt for that. However, he saw the service i was being offered by Parasol and said he wished he had gone for that. He advised that setting up and most importantly running the company made it too complex for a small time contractor like me.
      Utter tosh... not complex at all. Provided you do some homework (the net is your friend) and get a good accountant it's perfectly straightforward.

And aside from the obvious benefits of managing my company's affairs and cashflow, my accountant fees are less than Parasol's admin charges.

The only time I'd recommend using an umbrella is maybe for first time contractors who are unsure if contracting is right for them and want to try it for a few months to make sure.

HTH
      Eeyore was very glad to be able to stop thinking for a little, in order to say "How do you do" in a gloomy manner to Pooh.
      "And how are you?" said Winnie-the-Pooh.
      Eeyore shook his head from side to side. "Not very how," he said. "I don't seem to felt at all how for a long time."

Comment

Working...
      X