• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

French Tax

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

French Tax

I have a one year PM contract in Paris, can anyone post on a link regarding French Income Tax or any info --as of yet I have paid Mr France nothing.

Is French Tax law very strict or ane there any opportunities to be 'creative'?
    A good friend will bail you out of jail but a true friend will be sitting beside you saying that was fcuking class

And I came here thinking this was going to be about us taxing people if they were French...
    B00med!

Comment

Oh come on Advocate !!! They are not that bad
      A good friend will bail you out of jail but a true friend will be sitting beside you saying that was fcuking class

Comment

http://france.angloinfo.com/tax/fren...ce_banking.asp

Hope that helps..

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Hunt View Post
          I have a one year PM contract in Paris, can anyone post on a link regarding French Income Tax or any info --as of yet I have paid Mr France nothing.

Is French Tax law very strict or ane there any opportunities to be 'creative'?
          My advice is to get a good management company that can make sure you stay out of the French system. The income taxes are not that bad, but the social security payments will cripple you (around 22% I think )

Comment

Originally posted by Toastiness View Post
            My advice is to get a good management company that can make sure you stay out of the French system. The income taxes are not that bad, but the social security payments will cripple you (around 22% I think )
            MMm, Maybe so but on the other side paying to the social security payment is worth while if you fancy a long holiday....
            In affect if your contract make enough payments you can then make a claim for large proportion of your last working salary for the next 12 months whilst seeking work within french territorry (on a beach in Tahiti for instance..)

Comment

Originally posted by rz6bm7 View Post
              MMm, Maybe so but on the other side paying to the social security payment is worth while if you fancy a long holiday....
              In affect if your contract make enough payments you can then make a claim for large proportion of your last working salary for the next 12 months whilst seeking work within french territorry (on a beach in Tahiti for instance..)
              Interesting, do you know if there is a minimum duration for those payments to be made? Say 12 months?
              Bored.

Comment

Originally posted by rz6bm7 View Post
                Hi,

I've been contracting in France for about 10 years, the above statement isn't correct I'm afraid. If you contract in France for more than a 6 month period then legally you have to set yourself up as a "Professional Liberal" - you will pay in total taxs (tax, social, all the other ones) about 47% - no matter if you're earning 4 pounds a week or 4000 a week. If you are a Professional Liberal you do not have the right to claim unemployement benefit.
                The French hate anyone trying to be indepandant..
                The only way you can do it is to get emplyed by the French equivalnet of an umbrella company - you then get a salary and the benefit rights. You also don't get the headache of all the French admin - AND THERE IS A LOT. But on the minus side they take their cut .

cheers

Comment

Originally posted by webwoo View Post
                  Hi,

I've been contracting in France for about 10 years, the above statement isn't correct I'm afraid. If you contract in France for more than a 6 month period then legally you have to set yourself up as a "Professional Liberal" - you will pay in total taxs (tax, social, all the other ones) about 47% - no matter if you're earning 4 pounds a week or 4000 a week. If you are a Professional Liberal you do not have the right to claim unemployement benefit.
                  The French hate anyone trying to be indepandant..
                  The only way you can do it is to get emplyed by the French equivalnet of an umbrella company - you then get a salary and the benefit rights. You also don't get the headache of all the French admin - AND THERE IS A LOT. But on the minus side they take their cut .

cheers
                  As elsewhere, get an accountant and he will tell you what to do.

Comment

Working...
                  X