• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Short Term Contracting ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Short Term Contracting ?

I'm looking to do some part time contracting ( weekends / general out of hours /very short contracts) as an extra money spinner. Most of larger job sites only tend to advertise for long term roles ( presumably because they are agencies, and the return on a 2 day contract isn't worth the phone calls )

any suggestions on where to look/ advertise myself ?

thanks in advance.

Most short term contracts start out at being a few days and spin onto months.

That's the nature of IT, permie management and the likes.

It's not like plumbing you know.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
      Most short term contracts start out at being a few days and spin onto months.

That's the nature of IT, permie management and the likes.

It's not like plumbing you know.
      Funny, my plumming jobs seem to take on a similar nature, lol.

A friend of mine has just started doing the same thing. He cold calls small firms within his area and offers to do some work for them after an initial consultation (free?). I shall try to get some more details, but that seems to be all - sometimes he wins, some he loses.

Comment

I can see a call for this type of ad-hoc work in the support/network arena, but probably not in development.

Every now and then you'll see someone post a weekend job on Jobserve to upgrade a couple of Exchange servers (or whatever). The rates are usually not much better than market rate for a 3 monther (say 300-350/day), so you can bet the agents are making it worth their while. My guess is the client had a quote of £2000/day from IBM or Accenture and reckons they can do it cheaper by going to the market.

If things go well you can impress a new client, forge a business relationship and possibly get future ad-hoc work. Conversely, if things don't go well (whether its your fault or not), you are going to have a hell of a time getting paid.
        Last edited by insight14; 16 August 2005, 21:22.

Comment

Working...
        X