• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Direction?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Direction?

I've been a contractor for 12 years but due to the "dot com bubble" bursting I have
    been with my last financial client for 4 1/2 years and have now left.

I must admit I've got a little stale and am updating my skill-set now.

The trouble is I'm kind of stuck between worlds and am wondering which direction
    to go in.

I'm a C++ developer with Sybase/SQL/Perl/Unix experience but have also got a lot
    of experience on the Windows platform. Mostly MFC C++ but have been studying
    managed C++ .NET.

Should I stick with the Unix world or follow the .NET trend?

I'd be interested what you guys think?

Wolfie

anyone who's anyone who's going anywhere is doing .not these days. official.

Comment

Scot! Have you been brainwashed by Milan?

TwoWolves, my advice would be to stay in the financial sector! They've got the best rates. Are you in London? Stay with your C++ + DB skills, highlight your financial experience with any agencies that has got jobs you like the look of, and watch your rates go into the stratosphere! There are quite a few banks / insurance companies recruiting contractors at present, just go for it! I don't think you will find better rates easily elsewhere, especially not in the £200-a-day .not market!!
      Chico, what time is it?

Comment

My gut feel would be Sybase, UNIX, C++ in the financials marketplace.

If you've only got a bit of .NET it's to late and MFC is a dead duck longer term.

Comment

Working...
        X