• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bored, suicidally bored!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bored, suicidally bored!

Just got a 3 month extension on a gig that's now been going for 1 year. All major projects have been delivered and there is nothing earth shattering in the pipeline.

Wouldn't mind a couple of months off.

Pros: Easy money, flexible hours, etc.
    Cons: A funeral might break out, dog work, no real project management exists anymore.

Any wise words?

P

Originally posted by Peter Loew View Post
    Just got a 3 month extension on a gig that's now been going for 1 year. All major projects have been delivered and there is nothing earth shattering in the pipeline.

Wouldn't mind a couple of months off.

Pros: Easy money, flexible hours, etc.
    Cons: A funeral might break out, dog work, no real project management exists anymore.

Any wise words?

P
    How long can you survive with no money coming in?

Brush up your skills? Post more on cuk? Start work on plan B?

Comment

You could of course take a break (long holiday) but they will probably realise then that you don't actually add any value whilst you are away.

I would take the money and if possible fill the day learning some new skills for the CV or launch a plan b business if you fancy it.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

snap!

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

I can prob survive around 4 - 6 months.

Yeah, Plan B already set in motion as of yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            You could of course take a break (long holiday) but they will probably realise then that you don't actually add any value whilst you are away.

I would take the money and if possible fill the day learning some new skills for the CV or launch a plan b business if you fancy it.
            I just came back from a holiday in the States. I'd love to contract over there but going by the other thread about working in the USA, it seems quite difficult.

I'm looking into getting my MAPM, maybe brush up on aspects of PRINCE2.

It can be so soul destroying sitting here doing dog work...

Comment

Hmmm. It's pretty bad when things are like that. Holidays sound like a great idea. It's a couple of years since I was project managing. Why not irritate your colleagues by forcing them to do some futile Benefits Realisation work? Get all enthusiastic (come on chaps, we need to be benefit driven here, the technology is only an enabler for change etc.) Should cheer you up no end. Just think of it as outsourcing your misery.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                Hmmm. It's pretty bad when things are like that. Holidays sound like a great idea. It's a couple of years since I was project managing. Why not irritate your colleagues by forcing them to do some futile Benefits Realisation work? Get all enthusiastic (come on chaps, we need to be benefit driven here, the technology is only an enabler for change etc.) Should cheer you up no end. Just think of it as outsourcing your misery.
                Ha ha, yes I'm sure that would cheer everyone up!

Curious to know what you do now if not project management?

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Loew View Post
                  Ha ha, yes I'm sure that would cheer everyone up!

Curious to know what you do now if not project management?
                  BA (kind of).

I was never a pure PM. My expertise is in the health IT area - I've just dropped the PM bit (which I hated) and work with clinicians to configure sytems to meet their needs.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                    BA (kind of).

I was never a pure PM. My expertise is in the health IT area - I've just dropped the PM bit (which I hated) and work with clinicians to configure sytems to meet their needs.
                    Sounds great. I'm gonna do a couple more years of PMing and see where it takes me.

Comment

Working...
                    X