• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

the big agency battle

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheBigYinJames View Post
    I believe that you can only be guilty of libel and damaging a company's revenue if what you say is false.
    In a civil case, if your defence against a libel suit is that what you wrote is true, the onus is on you to prove that it is true: be sure that you can. Anyway, the agency may reckong that the potential damage from your site is big enough that it is worth paying a lawyer to hassle you (not that I am suggesting etc), which will end up costing you money.

A word from their solicitor to your hosting company might be quite effective too.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
      In a civil case, if your defence against a libel suit is that what you wrote is true, the onus is on you to prove that it is true: be sure that you can. Anyway, the agency may reckong that the potential damage from your site is big enough that it is worth paying a lawyer to hassle you (not that I am suggesting etc), which will end up costing you money.

A word from their solicitor to your hosting company might be quite effective too.
      The liability is joint and several, thus the hosting company is vulnerable.

Truth is an absolute defence in libel - but this not stop the statement being defamatory. This means that even if true there is still the possibility of redress (though justification may become a defence to this).

Comment

obsolete
        Last edited by engineer; 20 June 2012, 00:46.

Comment

Working...
        X