• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract termination

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract termination

Hi all,

This may be a silly question but if I wish to terminate my contract early who should the written notice be sent to. Is it the agent, the client or both ?

Cheers.

The Agent.

But it would be a good idea to let the client know informally too.

Comment

Cheers mate.

T.

Comment

Ive always sent my notices to the client (as I am of the opinion they are more important, especially if I want extra business with them sometime down the line).

Mailman

Comment

Sting in the tail !!??

Originally posted by Mailman
          Ive always sent my notices to the client (as I am of the opinion they are more important, especially if I want extra business with them sometime down the line).

Mailman
          In your opinion does this incur any responsibilty having ended early. Are there any penalties generally, presuming an amicable parting?
          I should add I have a pretty standard contract which as far as I can see does not imply this. Only been doing this for about 18 months so relatively new. Cheers Tony

Comment

Originally posted by off2perm
            In your opinion does this incur any responsibilty having ended early. Are there any penalties generally, presuming an amicable parting?
            I should add I have a pretty standard contract which as far as I can see does not imply this. Only been doing this for about 18 months so relatively new. Cheers Tony
            Depends on the wording of your contract. Is there a termination clause and have you honoured it to the letter? If there is not, you are on shaky ground but agents (which is who you have the contract with) suing contactors is virtually unheard of except in cases of extremely gross misconduct.

Comment

I once terminated a rather tulipe contract (after about 3 days onsite) by calling a meeting with the permie boss, telling her the place was grim, the work dire and the project doomed and that I was now going home. Oh and next time you interview for contractors, try telling the truth.

Which was nice.

Comment

Penalty clauses in contracts have already been shown to be unenforceable through the courts in this country.

Mailman

Comment

Working...
                X