• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Help!! Newbie very confused about Expenses

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by expat View Post
    Spot-on.
    And OP, don't knock that "only it's tax free" part, that's the fantastic part about company expenses, so put through everything you can legitimately put through the company - computer equipment, subscriptions, portions of your utilities etc. It can add up to quite a few pennies over the year.

Very exceptionally, a client will agree to certain expenses being refunded directly to you, but in 15 years it's never happened to me.
    Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

Just to give you an example..

My client agrees to pay employees of my company a rate of 23 pence per business mile. At the end of the month I invoice the agent for this expense. This money is then paid into my business bank account. (example 23 *400 miles = £92

I then fill out an expense claim form at 40 pence per mile (40 * 400 miles = £160) which goes to my accountant. They then add this to my payslip and this total is transfered from the business bank account to my personal bank account. Salary + expenses.

Comment

NickFitz answer says it all.
        Your companies money is not yours.
        You put in an expenses claim to your company. Your company gives you a cheque or pays you direct.
        Obviously if you have agreed expenses with your client then you claim off them.

Take good note of what Nick said.
        There are limited ways you can get money from your company. Wages, expenses and dividends are legitimate. There are a couple of others (ask your accountant), but anything else would be regarded as theft or fraud.
        Be very very careful.
        I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
        Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Thanks for everyones input on this. It all makes more sense to me now!!

This completely changes the way i go about agreeing future contract rates as i need to be thinking about the expenses that will be occurring on a contract (such as travelling to and from work) and include this when negotiating rates with the client.

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
            NickFitz answer says it all.
            Your companies money is not yours.
            There are limited ways you can get money from your company. ...
            WHS.

Your company's money is not yours.

Comment

Originally posted by alfatech View Post
              But the money in my business bank account is mine anyway.
              [Mal Mode]
              No no no no no!!!

The money in your Business account is not yours, it belongs to your LTD CO!!! You then have to "make it yours" by paying expenses, paying a salary, paying dividends or other LEGAL ways!!!!

You need to learn that you and MyCo are two DIFFERENT entities!!!!

[/Mal Mode]

Comment

I don't think it's been said by anybody in this thread yet but you need to realise that the company's money is not yours.

Comment

When is it my turn to shout at the noob?
                  It's not your money
                  Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

Let me clarify so there is no doubt:

The money in your business bank account is not yours, it belongs to George Agdgdgwngo.

Comment

DON’T LISTEN TO THEM

They are having you on. You can do whatever you like with the money. You are a director of the company so you can spend the money however you like.
                      How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                      Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Working...
                      X