• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Daily Rate - extra hours worked

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daily Rate - extra hours worked

Sorry if this has been asked before, couldn't find previous thread.
    I am negotiating new contract on daily rate. I have been advised in interview to expect extra hours work on normal day on a frequent basis.
    Waiting for agent to confirm this will be paid pro-rata'd.
    Is it normal to be paid overtime or have been people worked over 8 hours a day and still only got daily rate (By over I am talking about 2/3 hours extra twice a week).

Thanks

Daily Rate is just another term for billing unit.

If the client expects Day to be 8 hours then you may be able to get more than that from them.

For 2/3 hour twice a week I wouldn't expect them to add anything extra to the timesheet though.

When I did "overtime" I used to have a shorter day afterwards to make up for it.

So I "averaged" 37 hours a week. If I saved up enough I used to work from home (aka sleep all day) and still bill them.

Comment

One simpler option is to take into account the likely length of a day when you set your daily rate.

Comment

Sounds like their implying that you will be doing unpaid overtime. Make sure that the normal weekly hours are stated in the contract and then you can leave early on Friday and get in late on Monday, or whatever else suits you. After all, you're a professional, not a charity worker.

Comment

My contract has a day rate for PWD - defined as 8 hours. Overtime can kick in on a weekday - but not untill I've done 11 hours I have claimed it once!
          Other people here though are on a day rate, with the same conditions as mine, but also do standby / call-out. I'm assuming their callout must be claimable from the first minute, cannot see them doing 3 hours free - but I'm not up to the details of that yet.
          Basicly - if your contract doesnt mention overtime you probably don't get it.

Comment

If you are on a daily rate then you charge a day for each day that you do.

That "day" might be a couple of hours, or it might be twenty. It usually depends what phase of the project you are in.

As a rule of thumb, if I do under 2 hours there is no charge, between 2 and 6 hours is a half day, anything over 6 hours is a whole day.

I am not supposed to have seen the higher level documents , but the consultancy that I work through state that a standard week that the client can expect is 37 - 42 hours.

Comment

Working...
            X