• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working for a UK company from the US

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working for a UK company from the US

In a few months I'm going to move from the UK to live in the US (as a resident alien).

I am currently an employee of a large-ish UK company (I'm a software developer). My manager and I are trying to work out a way in which I could continue to do my current job for the company, but 'work from home' in the US. I need to present the company with suggestions for how we might do this that are as simple as possible (in order to persuade them to go for the idea), but without compromising my financial / tax position too much.

The company has offices in the US but they're a long way from where I'm going to be living and there's no business overlap - transferring isn't an option.

From what I have gathered there may be a number of options:

1) Just remain on the payroll (the company is unlikely to buy this - sets a big precedent!).
    2) Work as a contractor and set up a UK company of my own. Pay tax in the UK on that income under the tax treaty.
    3) Work as a contractor under a UK or, ideally, a US umbrella company. (The latter may not be an option - contractors in the US seem to go through payroll like anyone else).

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be the best approach / have any other ideas?

I've not worked as a contractor before and I've never worked in the US, so this is all a little overwhelming and I'm coming across a fair amount of contradictory information as I try to research it. All insight / experience / suggestions / recommendations would be gratefully received.

Working...
X