• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Set up to fail

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Set up to fail

I think I'm being set up to fail for one major project I'm managing. I'm being backed into a corner and simply following instructions from my manager, which the customer is repeatedly hounding me on.

Cant see this going on much longer TBH. Contractor = Scapegoat.

Any advice?

P

Don't follow instructions?

Resign?

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Loew View Post
      I think I'm being set up to fail for one major project I'm managing. I'm being backed into a corner and simply following instructions from my manager, which the customer is repeatedly hounding me on.

Any advice?

P
      Cover yourself. Document (e-mail to primary stakeholders) why the project is on the way to failure, what is needed to bring it back on course (if that's even a possibility.)

You'll probably still get binned, but you're a professional so just give them your expert opinion and walk away with your head up.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Loew View Post

Any advice?

P
        Remember you are an external professional and therefore should not simply do as you are told. Give them advice and fight your corner !

If you can't turn around their mindsets then start looking for another contract and get out quick.

Comment

The thing is the project is going well and we are set to deliver on time. So internally the project is running smoothly with no major issues.

But I have been caught in political disputes over costing and who pays for for the project. On top of that I am told to insert clauses into the project proposal by my manager and then later questioned over them by the customer. Everything I have done thus far has been authorised by my manager.

I don't want to resign and if I don't follow instructions I'll get sacked.

Comment

Document everything, and use a voice-recorder in your pocket in every meeting, so you have clear memory on who said what and when. Take the bad guys down with you.

If they are going to sacrifice the contractor, you can put together your 'close-out' report to all stakeholders (senior management). Who knows, you might get call in again after the slaughter.

Then Contractor = rescue plan!!
            When you encounter speed humps, sound your horn in protest.

Comment

Originally posted by Tensai View Post
              Cover yourself. Document (e-mail to primary stakeholders) why the project is on the way to failure, what is needed to bring it back on course (if that's even a possibility.)

You'll probably still get binned, but you're a professional so just give them your expert opinion and walk away with your head up.
              totally agree with this!!! we have a major issue on my projcet that i have been bleating on about for months. had enough last week and spent 4hrs of my own time over the weekend writing a proposal of where we are what is wrong, poss solutions and what will happen if we do nothing.

i spk to my prog mgr when i got in this am and she hit the roof, and for the 2nd time in 4mths told me to get back in my box. i sent the proposal anyway, and she had to react and send it on. an hour later she grabbed me going in to another meeting and apologised and told me she has sent it on. an hour after that meeting, it appears one of the company lawers has gone through the contract with her, and basically told her to get rid of the 3rd party as per my view!

i nearly fell off my chair that someone in this place listened! i might just extend now, as i decided that i wasnt as its pointless highlighting issues to be slapped down without them doing anything.

Good luck! i've been in your position before. just mail the project board and let them know the risks...
              I didn't say it was your ******* fault, I said I was blaming you!

Comment

Thanks, all good advice.

I was under the impression that as a contractor I would not get caught in such BS politics. My project is running well. We are set to deliver. But am facing opposition from all sides despite this for the sole reason that the customer wants us to pay for the project...

I have documented everything, I have the emails etc. Problem is some decisions were made in haste and were applied without a formal audit trail. These were minor though.

All I can do is evaluate where the project is, how it got here and how it gets to proceed. And then seriously consider leaving even if it does all work out as I don't like the attitude of the customer (rude, threatening and obnoxious; they even threatened my contract even though I am not under their employ) nor my own client (negligent, despite my recommendations they do not listen and always play lapdog with the customer).

P

Comment

Working...
                X