• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Newbie...looking for some help and advice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie...looking for some help and advice

Hi folks I'm brand new here so I am hoping there might be some advise etc on offer.

I have just found out in work that I am being relocated and I don't want to so thinking of going down the VR route. This means I have some decisions to make about what I want to do.

I am currently working in credit risk in a very large consumer credit organisation. This has meant that I have spent the last 4 years coding in SAS until recently this was mainly analysing data, creating reporting and insight etc and automating reports with experience in Basel2, IAS39 provisioing and other consumer credit risk related areas. However in the last 6 months or so I have created a new data warehouse.

So where I am at the moment is trying to decide whether to take my skills on the road and see what contracting has to offer or look for another permie job. The key info I am looking for is:

- where are the best places to look for contracts, I cannot see much out there but am I missing something, any sites you can advise?
    - where do any SAS contractors do most of their work and what sort of work?
    - are most of you registered as companies etc or use paye umbrella?
    - is there a demand for the sort of skills I have detailed, and where is it mainly?
    - any other useful info you can provide?

I am based in Glasgow but obviously willing to travel. I suppose the other info that might be useful is that I have the security that my other half can support me, cover all household bills and live, if I was not in a contract. I think the biggest thing is I do not want to make a big mistake so I'm trying to get as much info as possible.

Thanks a million in advance for the help.

Working...
X