• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How is testing & test management contracting mkt..??

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How is testing & test management contracting mkt..??

go

its seems to be very bad now..especially telecom mkt...
    Not sure telecom guys can get in to Finance with out experience in that domain..

- Martin

Comment

You are Darren_Test and I claim my 5 re-written CV's.
      ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Absolutely dire.

I have never seen the test market as bad as it is now. Last year I finished my current contract in July, I was offered a renewal for a month, I turned it down as I had a months holiday booked for August and the renewal requirement was very short term with no indication of where the project was going. They were getting rid of contractors left, right and centre due to budgetry restraints. I caught an ear infection in both ears on holiday and this put me out another month. Started looking pro-actively from end of August last year, (then caught a flu bug) but carried on networking, with agents I'd previously worked through, called up previous PM's and TM's I'd worked with before, sent CV's off, had pimps messing me about no end, hopes raised and dashed and am really despondent at the moment. Check the jobsites daily, nothing much around or skillset particular. I'm a Test Analyst, have done Test Lead Positions and once done a Test Manager role for a 3 month contract. I've worked in Investment Banks, Finance and Logistics. I read Darren_Test's thread with great interest. Seems like there are many in the same position at the moment with agents telling me they get about 400 applications in for the one role.

I've been on the bench now for lets say almost 9months and I believe in the current market it is not what you know or even how good you are, its who you know.
        Last edited by Tyler; 8 April 2008, 00:02. Reason: spelling

Comment

I was recently renewed (Telecoms) and the 2 guys who weren't, both got new gigs without any break in employment. Don't see the problem.
          Blood in your poo

Comment

Originally posted by Sausage Surprise View Post
            I was recently renewed (Telecoms) and the 2 guys who weren't, both got new gigs without any break in employment. Don't see the problem.
            Yep. Only real change is that I'm getting shorter rolling contracts (3 monthers) now.

Comment

Testing? What for? Surely it was written by proper C# non English-speaking coders based on some very brief pencil-drawn UML use case diagrams and a phone call requirements capture.

There's no need to keep on tes........(oops have to slope off to the pub again, users are complaining again about our new big bang deployment of the entirely bespoke ERP system we pulled together in just 2 months).
              When you encounter speed humps, sound your horn in protest.

Comment

Originally posted by beercohol View Post
                Testing? What for? Surely it was written by proper C# non English-speaking coders based on some very brief pencil-drawn UML use case diagrams and a phone call requirements capture.
                Are we on the same gig?
                ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

lol - been on a few gigs like that myself...

Thanks for the replies guys.

You see, thats part of the quandry I find myself in. About 50-50 ratio. Half say they don't have a problem, have not been on the bench and jump straight into the next contract, the other half I know are in the same position as me. Swings and roundabouts. I shall persevere.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyler View Post
                    lol - been on a few gigs like that myself...

Thanks for the replies guys.

You see, thats part of the quandry I find myself in. About 50-50 ratio. Half say they don't have a problem, have not been on the bench and jump straight into the next contract, the other half I know are in the same position as me. Swings and roundabouts. I shall persevere.
                    I'm in the same boat as you. I seem to have seen a big drop off in the number of ads on jobserve. My testing experience is in quite a niche area which doesnt help. Thinking of either branching out from testing to other areas, or going permie for a bit. We'll see. Good luck

Comment

Working...
                    X