• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Advice needed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrRobin View Post
    All good advice here... don't mix friends and money, it will get ugly.

Here's another tip:

When starting a thread in an internet forum, create a meaningful title that introduces the content of what you are asking / stating, not just an arbitrary 'Advice needed' or 'I have a question' etc etc.

Ta.
    Well said - I wrote a blog post about how to ask for help. Shame no-one ever visits my blog to find out
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
      Well said - I wrote a blog post about how to ask for help. Shame no-one ever visits my blog to find out
      Where is this mythical blog you speak of?
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
        Where is this mythical blog you speak of?
        Can't tell you that - it would make me to identifiable

Here's my tips though:
        Top tips for how not to get help:

1 - Use the caps lock key all the time. Shouting at people makes them respond better.
        2 - Don't bother to try and solve the problem yourself, someone else will do it.
        3 - They will do it quicker if you keep shouting about how URGENT it is.
        4 - If you need to include code samples, don't format it. People helping out enjoy having to format your code so that it's legible.
        5 - When someone else helps you, never say thanks.
        6 - If you get no responses, complain about how bad the product is, and Microsoft is much better.
        7 - Never include an error message - just say that it doesn't work. Experts love this, as it gives them something else to do.
        8 - Don't ask for help, demand it. Then demand it quickly.
        9 - When someone helps you, demand that they explain what they did and why your code didn't work.

It was inspired by this post on OTN though as a wonderful example of how to ask for help
        Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by sweetpeanuts View Post
          I don't see how I would be paying more tax than I need to if I become an 'employee' of my mate's company? I would be paying Tax & NI (Employers & Employees) the same as I would for my own Ltd company. Equally I will be drawing the same 'expenses'.
          They are called dividends.

Comment

It was inspired by this post on OTN though as a wonderful example of how to ask for help
            Hahaha... that is trolling at its very best.
            It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Originally posted by MrRobin View Post
              Hahaha... that is trolling at its very best.
              I've only just checked how it grew - there's a great ASCII picture of the Mona Lisa in there at the end

(Sorry - I know)
              Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

"You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I've only just checked how it grew - there's a great ASCII picture of the Mona Lisa in there at the end

(Sorry - I know)
                  Argghh! That hurts my eyes!
                  It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Working...
                  X