• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

rate cuts in the city.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today's Alex cartoon in the Telegraph is good.
    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
      How often do those kinds of clients actually go through with their rate cuts?

By which I mean:
      (1) they ask the contractor to lower the rate
      (2) contractor says no
      (3) contract is terminated (or not renewed, when the original plan was to renew).

I'm sure lots of contractors bottle it and cut their rates when asked, but that doesn't count.
      You would have to be VERY special for them to renew if you say no to the rate cut (plus authroisation would need to come from up high to make an exception). Plus they will look to replace you pretty sharply too. For 99% of people you either take the cut or leave. I've had it happen a few times in the last 10 years, all around 6 years ago.

That said. Here at this top tier IB in Canary Wharf there is no discussion of rate cuts. Recruitment is up and rates are extended on renewal (as appropriate obviously) as far as I can tell. I've no concerns as yet. But these things can change very quickly.

Comment

Good thing I'm in the habit of saving money for people.

When the markets are good I do new builds. When the markets are bad I do cost reductions.

Whatevre happens people will still buy cheap tulip from china so there will be a need for logistics.

Comment

Originally posted by Pickle2 View Post
          Yup.

http://www.houseinphuket.com/houses/LTR/a0133/

@700 quid a month, I reckon my pile would last until the next boom/bubble.

£700/month?

Seems quite expensive for Thailand.

For the same money in Bali:

http://www.ptbalirealestate.com/List...pertyID=678490

Or if you want super-cheap,

http://www.rumahraya.com/katalog.php?aksi=lihat&id=240
          £80/month

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander Coe View Post
            Just heard the large British invest bank I'm based at is subjecting all contract renewals to a 5% rate cut, given the market conditions... any reports of this going on in other financial companies?
            I work at the same IB, got a call from my pimp yesterday stating the same. Did mention to him I have a potential gig lined up in NL but will absorb the 5% hit if they sort out the paperwork quickly and it's 6 months as per last time ...

Comment

Originally posted by kismet110 View Post
              I work at the same IB, got a call from my pimp yesterday stating the same. Did mention to him I have a potential gig lined up in NL but will absorb the 5% hit if they sort out the paperwork quickly and it's 6 months as per last time ...
              Sod that - get the agent to reduce his margin as well.
              ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                I concur...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

My initial thought was to absorb it as been here a while and on a decent rate anyway but now you mention it and coincidentally a chat today about more/extra work coming my way I might hold out; less moolah for more sh*t does not compute ....

Comment

Originally posted by kismet110 View Post
                    My initial thought was to absorb it as been here a while and on a decent rate anyway but now you mention it and coincidentally a chat today about more/extra work coming my way I might hold out; less moolah for more sh*t does not compute ....
                    Even more so if you've been a cash cow for the agent for a while. Make sure they take a cut too.
                    "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Yeah, have heard the agency/EB are helping absorb this for some of the effected contractors, so well worth a try!

Comment

Working...
                      X