• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

End of Contract Report

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

End of Contract Report

Morning all,

So I'm about to finish a gig and ClientCo have asked for a report on what I've been up to here. No problem when it comes to the actual work done, I've covered all that off and outlined what is left to do. (Contract was just to fill in until they recruited a permie) However, the difficult bit is that they want the report to also include a section on "observations / recommendations"
    Now, in all honesty, ClientCo need a rocket up their collective arses to sort a hole bunch of things out and the management both of the projects and the business are a shambles, but how to put that delicately? Or should I leave all the negative criticism out and just put something light and fluffy?

Cheers'en
    NN
    "Israel, Palestine, Cats." He Said
    "See?"

Do you want to work there again?

If so put the least damaging negative thing that is the easiest to rectify, and suggest a solution, then list the positives.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Never burn bridges

Comment

Tell them the truth, you have been asked for your professional opinion so give it to them. If they wanted soft and fluffy or the easiest problem to be identified/fixed they would have asked a permie.

If you are a true pro you will tell them the way it is and be ready to have a professional conversation on your reasoning and thought process on getting them out of your identified problems (the door opens for a sales pitch)

Its a tried a trusted method of most consulting firms -

Tell client its a complete mess (which is why we are here in the first place)
        Convince client we are the ones to fix it.
        Spend the next 3 years fixing the clients problem.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          Never burn bridges
          Agreed...

Also this sounds like a chance for you to identify where you could do more work for them!! Just be constructive.

Comment

Originally posted by oafc0000 View Post
            Agreed...

Also this sounds like a chance for you to identify where you could do more work for them!! Just be constructive.
            Exactly. Good advice. Be constructive, praising and do list the problems honestly (but not in a brutally honest way). Don't start pinpointing names or direct faults even if they're obvious, just suggest some solutions, preferably ones you are capable of carrying out for them, at a nice tidy rate, ofcourse

R
            It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Agree with the above. Sounds like an opportunity to me.

Comment

Originally posted by ruskithebear View Post
                Tell them the truth, you have been asked for your professional opinion so give it to them. If they wanted soft and fluffy or the easiest problem to be identified/fixed they would have asked a permie.

If you are a true pro you will tell them the way it is and be ready to have a professional conversation on your reasoning and thought process on getting them out of your identified problems (the door opens for a sales pitch)

Its a tried a trusted method of most consulting firms -

Tell client its a complete mess (which is why we are here in the first place)
                Convince client we are the ones to fix it.
                Spend the next 3 years fixing the clients problem.
                what he said
                Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

This is the problem.

Do I want to work there again? No
                  Will I burn my bridges? No.

I want to let them know that I've found some areas where they as a business could improve greatly whilst still being professional. Some good advice on not identifying individuals and teams where the problems lie, and being general though.

Cheers
                  NN
                  "Israel, Palestine, Cats." He Said
                  "See?"

Comment

Do I want to work there again? No
                    Find a sub and place them in there. Obviously you would take a cut of the daily rate.

Comment

Working...
                    X