• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Car recommendations

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car recommendations

I am looking to move into contracting having been in permanent positions for too long. I have had a company car for the last 5 years. My driving record is not good, and therefore insurance will be high.

I have no money to finance a car, so will likely have to get a loan to pay for it, ideally 12k is my maximum. I am looking for something reliable and cost effective, estimated annual mileage including business is 25000. The only requirements is that the car has air con and is the minimum physical size is similar to a VW golf. Anyone have any suggestions?

Get a bike... air con is excellent.

Comment

Originally posted by js2008 View Post
      I am looking to move into contracting having been in permanent positions for too long. I have had a company car for the last 5 years. My driving record is not good, and therefore insurance will be high.
      Take some more lessons. No excuse for poor driving.

Comment

seriously, something like this would be good

http://www.cargiant.co.uk/cars/detail.asp?Id=363502

Saab 9-3 1.9 150bhp diesel
        £7k 2 years old 48mpg

Or the Peugeot 607 diesel 2.2hdi - larger more comfortable car, lkely to be a lot pricier to insure
        http://www.cargiant.co.uk/cars/detail.asp?Id=360974
        £7k 3 years old 46mpg

Comment

Audi A3 , had it 7 days and already have a chick co-worker giving me looks and smiles all the time. They can smell it

Comment

Originally posted by 2uk View Post
            They can smell it
            Are you running it on chip fat or something?

Typical tight arse contractor...
            Eat Right, Exercise, Die Anyway.

Comment

I have no money to finance a car, so will likely have to get a loan to pay for it, ideally 12k is my maximum. I am looking for something reliable and cost effective, estimated annual mileage including business is 25000. The only requirements is that the car has air con and is the minimum physical size is similar to a VW golf. Anyone have any suggestions?
              Have a look at a Skoda Octavia, can get a diesel 05 one for around £8,000 and with a bit of looking you'll find one with air con. It's basically an A6/Passat with a skoda badge.

Mundano's and Focus' are supposed to be reliable, fuel efficient and reasonalble drives as well as quite cheap too.

Audi A3 , had it 7 days and already have a chick co-worker giving me looks and smiles all the time. They can smell it

Comment

My driving record is not good
                Ahh permies with company cars

I have no money to finance a car
                Ahh permies

. The only requirements is that the car has air con and is the minimum physical size is similar to a VW golf
                Ahh fat permies
                How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

dude, if you have no money to finance a car, and you're moving into contracting.....

1. Don't buy an expensive car....

2. You making sure you have some money to tide you over, incase you don't land a contract straightaway?

3. Its a bad time to go contracting, why not wait until March/April.....and save some money up too

Troll - that was funny...but cruel.................

Comment

And you only paid 3K more for it than you should have. Well done
                    ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Working...
                    X