• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Company contracting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Company contracting

I am involved in a relatively new company with two colleagues. We all have broad range of technical skills and have a track record engaging with blue chip organizations on various projects. The intention is that the company will raise investment to develop a product and business infrastructure to commercialize the product. Currently we have a stop-gap period, the time line to investment is long (if it even happens) and we must raise revenue to sustain the company in the short to medium term. We will be exploring our existing consultancy contacts as one means of this happening, but we would also like to investigate the possibility of doing more general contracting. I would really appreciate some advise, particularly:

o Is contracting work primarily procured through an agent or are there other means of doing this?

o Do we contact an agent or do we publish details of skills (i.e. via JobServer) and wait for agents to contact us? If we need to make contact, I would appreciate recommendations of agents to contact and those to avoid (please PM if you feel that is more appropriate).

o Given that it is a company rather than an individual offering contracting, how should the skills be advertised (an individual CV would be inappropriate)?

o Would it make more sense to contract as individuals or is there value in offering a small teams of (3) individuals who are able to work well together?

Many thanks,

James

Bounce - would really appreciate thoughts on this.

Comment

o Is contracting work primarily procured through an agent or are there other means of doing this?

If you have contacts use them to get contracts, otherwise use agencies.

o Do we contact an agent or do we publish details of skills (i.e. via JobServer) and wait for agents to contact us? If we need to make contact, I would appreciate recommendations of agents to contact and those to avoid (please PM if you feel that is more appropriate).

Contact them, that way you can at least choose who you are willing to trust.

o Given that it is a company rather than an individual offering contracting, how should the skills be advertised (an individual CV would be inappropriate)?

Advertise as a company, but list "typical" consultant profiles.

o Would it make more sense to contract as individuals or is there value in offering a small teams of (3) individuals who are able to work well together?

Whatever you can get a contract for. If you are going direct you are more likely to be able to put a team in. So most probably if you use agents, you will find yourselves all working on different engagements.

Just my 2 pence
      Last edited by Jason; 9 January 2008, 12:20.

Comment

Jason - Very useful - thanks. Can you recommend agencies that we should consider? I notice that you are in Manchester, we are based in Sheffield so your recommendations may help a great deal.

Thanks again,

James

Originally posted by Jason View Post

If you have contacts use them to get contracts, otherwise use agencies.

Contact them, that way you can at least choose who you are willing to trust.

Advertise as a company, but list "typical" consultant profiles.

Whatever you can get a contract for. If you are going direct you are more likely to be able to put a team in. So most probably if you use agents, you will find yourselves all working on different engagements.

Just my 2 pence

Comment

Originally posted by jwillans View Post
          we would also like to investigate the possibility of doing more general contracting.

James
          Only my thoughts, but, why not engage with jobserve and the likes as individuals, but then talk to the end client once through the agents about two similar peeps who can join you, and take things from there?

If marketing yourselves as a company this may scare off agents, unless you get the chance for a good chat with them.

Comment

Depends on what you mean by marketing yourself?

Talking to an agent is only one aspect. Getting a website up, going to industry events, user groups and so on, I would be portraying the image of a small consultancy company.

That reminds me.. I need to get my website done. hehe

Comment

Depends on what you mean by marketing yourself?

Talking to an agent is only one aspect. Getting a website up, going to industry events, user groups and so on, I would be portraying the image of a small consultancy company.

That reminds me.. I need to get my website done. hehe
              Same here - bought the domain name, just need to get the thing up and running. Not even got the email sorted as yet, I am ashamed to say.....

Jason - I owe you an apology. I get easily annoyed by people on another couple of forums I use signing up with 0 posts - I jumped to the very wrong conclusion with you. That will be an interesting beer in a few weeks.....

Comment

Wilmslow,

Looking forward to it. I am only down the road in Lymm so will be easy to get there.

On the web front. I have the domain the (empty) site and all my email etc sorted.. just gotta get down to writing the content.

Who you looking at for access and hosting? I am using Demon coz I have been with them personally for about 15 years, and so know most of their techies.

Also, sorry for my abrupt reply to your first one to me, you seem to be a top person.

Comment

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
                  Same here - bought the domain name, just need to get the thing up and running. Not even got the email sorted as yet, I am ashamed to say.....

Jason - I owe you an apology. I get easily annoyed by people on another couple of forums I use signing up with 0 posts - I jumped to the very wrong conclusion with you. That will be an interesting beer in a few weeks.....
                  Wilmslow,

Looking forward to it. I am only down the road in Lymm so will be easy to get there.

On the web front. I have the domain the (empty) site and all my email etc sorted.. just gotta get down to writing the content.

Who you looking at for access and hosting? I am using Demon coz I have been with them personally for about 15 years, and so know most of their techies.

Also, sorry for my abrupt reply to your first one to me, you seem to be a top person.

Ahhh isn't it sweet

Comment

Wilmslow,

Jason, if you're pushed for time/writing talent I can recommend a good copywriter who did my website for me. I tried writing the copy myself at first and what came out looked like a schoolboy essay. PM me if you want the details.

Comment

Working...
                    X