• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

which one???

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

which one???

verbally agreed a contract to start in next week or so but now been offered another. obviously, i'm trying to choose which i prefer but !once i have made that decision....

how do i let the agent down nicely so as not to scupper my chances of further work through them? (particularly if its the one i have already told i will take it! - is this taking the plss or what?)

You've signed nothing so you're fine there. (Thinks: why haven't they got a contract under your nose immediately? That always makes me wonder what else is going on...)

Tell them something close to the truth: "I've had a better offer from a job I thought had gone away. Sorry. Perhaps next time?"

The agents are in it for the money too; they will understand.

(If you had signed a contract, my advice would have been completely different and from a professional & ethical stance.)

In fantasy land, the agent might come back with a better offer. Such things don't happen to me but others say it happens to them...
    Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

cheers mate. assume it happens all the time.

thanks.

Comment

Suggest that in all future negotiations you make it clear to chasing agents that nothing's concrete until it's in black and white (i.e. they hold a contract with your sig. on it).

Comment

Find a fundamental point in the contract (like IPR or notice periods or something the agent probably won't move on) and insist it is changed or you will not sign it.

Does the job and is professional to boot.

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Don't worry - happens all the time

This happens all the time. Just tell them the truth and make sure you do it over the phone. The worst thing you can do is to just disappear off the face of the planet - When I worked in an agency and candidates disappeared it was the most frustrating thing and it makes you look like a real unporfessional wuss! They will try and get you to take it - if they get aggressive then you know you won't want to use them again in the future - but stand firm and they will (should) respect the fact you called to tell them what was happening. Hey, they will be disappointed but that's recruitment for you!

Comment

Working...
            X