• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sigh - agents (again)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sigh - agents (again)

So - just had a cracking interview. Agency put me in at a rate I was happy with. Now they are on the phone saying that the company has interviewed someone else at a much lower rate. If I can lower my rate they will go for me - but the agency won't give any figures.

Waddya reckon - is the agency ( a well known one) taking me for a ride ??

Peegee

Originally posted by peegee View Post
    So - just had a cracking interview. Agency put me in at a rate I was happy with. Now they are on the phone saying that the company has interviewed someone else at a much lower rate. If I can lower my rate they will go for me - but the agency won't give any figures.

Waddya reckon - is the agency ( a well known one) taking me for a ride ??

Peegee
    Yes. Next
    Carpe Pactum

(does fuzzy logic tickle?)

Comment

Probably being taken for a ride.

Ask the agent what the other person is on, and how much they are going to cut their margin for you.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
        Probably being taken for a ride.

Ask the agent what the other person is on, and how much they are going to cut their margin for you.

Now there's a thought - cheers!

Comment

They are lying.
          They are trying to maximise their cut.

Tell them that an interview you did 'months ago' has finally come through, with an offer at 20% above the rate they originally offered you.
          Explain that you don't really want to let their client down and ask them to match it.

Be prepared to walk away.

How much do you need this contract?
          RS

Comment

Originally posted by peegee View Post
            Now there's a thought - cheers!
            Happened to me on the current one - agent suggested the rate and put me in, got the gig and the client said I was too expensive. I cut my rate a bit, agent cut their percentage, we're all happy.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

tell the agency you've got another offer from another client who are
              offering same rate, and that you need to make a decision quick
              don't provide any figures or names as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Bright Spark View Post
                tell the agency you've got another offer from another client who are
                offering same rate, and that you need to make a decision quick
                don't provide any figures or names as well.
                That only works if you'd rather do nothing than cut your rate. If they trun round and wish you the best of luck, then you are out of luck.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

That only works if you'd rather do nothing than cut your rate. If they trun round and wish you the best of luck, then you are out of luck.

Look like I'm out of luck - will post if somehow the agency weirdly get me the job after all.

Comment

it's just another option to look at, depends on how badly OP wants this
                    contract. I always take the view that contracting and dealing with
                    agencies is about being tough and taking risks.

Comment

Working...
                    X