• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Promotion offer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Promotion offer

The contractor I report to has left and I have been offered the role (probably because they can’t be bothered to recruit someone new).

I could probably negotiate a rate increase yadda yadda but the issue is that I’m not sure I want the extra hours, responsibility and hassle – even if it comes with extra money.

I enjoy what I do and it keeps me stimulated and busy for the majority of the time and could see myself here for a long time. My fear is a new role may be worse, mess up my work life balance etc.

I can’t exactly say “I don’t want the extra hassle” so how do I best say no, whilst still keeping my current position and not looking like I am lazy/not a team player/don’t want to go the extra mile. I was obviously asked because they think I am good at what I currently do but will turning the role down make them look less favourably at me?

Has anyone been in a similar position?

The truth doesn't sound so bad. Tell them what you said in para 3, especially if you play up "I enjoy what I do". You've obviously been around long enough to get a good reputation. I don't see why wanting to carry on as you are would have to diminish that.

Comment

Thanks, although I think I'll leave out the bit majority of the time" and change it to "all the time"!

Comment

Originally posted by youngguy View Post
        Has anyone been in a similar position?
        Exactly - see the 'nervously awaiting' thread - except I've taken on the work and am pushing for more.

Comment

When they've asked me, I say - been there, done that, didn't like it, wasn't very good at it, would rather stay doing what I'm doing now and it'll work out better for you and me if I do.

They've always accepted it OK and found someone else to do the "promotion" with all its extra hassle and they've left me alone. I don't think I'd have got a rate rise anyway.

But then, I'm not a "youngguy"!

Comment

Working...
          X